Model Cars Magazine Forum

can you post pics of your Acrylic painted models? Thanks!

foxbat426

Would love to see some hobbiests acrylic painted models. Up to now i've only used enamels when painting my models. Some how in my mind you just won't get the same results with acrylic vs. enamels paint. Would love to see some nice acrylic builds to compare. I love the idea of water clean up!! Thanks!

john

Here's one I did. Tamiya green out of the bottle. Thinned with rubbing alcohol. I still cleaned the airbrush with lacquer thinner to make sure it was clean. I use artist's acrylics (tube paints) for washes and interiors more and more.All you have to do is prime it first. You can even clearcoat them.

37PICKUP.jpg

Wow really nice!! is there a clear coat on those?? Thanks for posting. beautiful builds!!

The f1 cars have future on them, since the the wicked colors have a semi gloss finish. Model Master straight from bottle, with a little testors universal acrylic thinner to make it spray better.

And all are primed with tamiya primer.

Edited by ferrarijoe

Been working on this one. Tamiya acrylic black with their clearcoat. This is strait from the airbrush. 4 coats of clear wetsanded with 4000 grit between coats and no polish yet in this pic.

What is the clearcoat - acrylic or their synthetic lacquer?

I only use Tamiya acrylics or Testors/Model Master acrylics... but most of the time, Tamiya. I used denatured alcohol to thin it and use it as cleanup as well. You can use water, provided its still wet. It's all in the technique and wetsanding/polishing. Here are a few...

Tim

661-vi.jpg

CC4-vi.jpg

C6-vi.jpg

5311-vi.jpg

I only ever use Automotive Acrylics, with automotive primers and clear coats, once you get the mix and air brush pressure sorted to your liking, there is nothing better. ( Just my opinion).

As it also dries fast, you can mask over it pretty well straight away. ( 5 mins ). Which allows for multi color paint schemes with out waiting for ever for it to dry.

And if you stuff something up, it is so easy to re-do, no stripping back to plastic needed either.

Here is a couple, i have about 200 in Acrylic though.

It could be that we're getting a bit mixed up, here... Was the original question about Acrylic Lacquers & Enamels, or the Wicked Colors kind of acrylic, that is pure acrylic through and through?

Edited by fseva

There are a lot of nice colors available in acrylics. I prefer them for flats and for brushing larger areas of interior parts as they lay so flat and streak free, they also dry so much more quickly than enamels.

I use a rattle can of polyurethane clear that is intended for jamb work on real cars since it will not craze or otherwise act adversely with the acrylic, plus it dries like stone.