Model Cars Magazine Forum

Fat Fingers and Tweezers

So in light of the recent what scale do you build thread,

I realized that some may build larger scale models just because it is easier.

My hands are not as steady as they once were, and I have adjusted to the scale I like to build by doing less fiddly kits and not getting bogged down with details.

All that building for shows or cramming as much stuff in as possible was more of a chore than a hobby. By knowing my own abilities, yet still pushing myself to do better I have discovered that modeling can be fun! So no matter what subject or scale you build, what have you done to help your model hobby continue?

Magnifiers, clips, lighting, tweezers, tape? Change in scale, subject or style?

Edited by James2

My hands are not as steady as they once were, and I have adjusted to the scale I like to build by doing less fiddly kits and not getting bogged down with details.

All that building for shows or cramming as much stuff in as possible was more of a chore than a hobby. By knowing my own abilities, yet still pushing myself to do better I have discovered that modeling can be fun! So no matter what subject or scale you build, what have you done to help your model hobby continue?

I'm about in the same boat. I just build for myself but still find things I can't do as well. BMF was the first toll .. I have a '59 Chevy sitting for 15 years with just the BMF to finish. Most of my builds now aren't heavy, curved BMF jobs .. and also get weathering to cover my mistakes!

I have a magnifier on my light that helps sometimes. I'll never go to a scale larger than 1/24 ... that seems to cry for even more small details despite the larger size of everything. Just more blank space there.

I agree 100% with you.

Never ever took a model to a show. I built them to have fun, not to please people with all that aftermarket detail, that by the way is side by side with unsanded glue lines, ejector pins, and mold lines. Some people add a lot of goodies in hope of building a highly detailed model and forget the very basics.

Like I always forget sanding those ejector pins, and also like I hate aftermarket stuff, I like to open a kit box, use what's inside and have fun while doing it.

Around here, when the so called modelers (and I say that because modeling is no longer a hobby to them, it's a second job, that has no pay, and serves to the purpose of receiving praise of similar guys) look at my builds, they say "Yes, it looks nice, but you could had done a lot more detailing"

I say " I know, but I choose not to". The so called modelers only give me that superiority look and then move on.

I do the best I can with the model in the default scales of 1:24 and 1:25, and call it a day. Once I step up to a couple of 1:16 and 1:8 scale kits, I'll probably jam in as much detail as I'm capable of. Like many here who are getting older, the eyesight just isn't what it used to be, so I use magnifiers when and where needed, or just don't worry about it. Superdetailing chassis and engine compartments is not my thing at all, so that certainly saves me some grief.

Edited by Roadrunner