Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Just got this its freaking huge! 32" can't wait to start it doing a little research on the actual color scheme for pt-109 but no color photos from any archives and no real information except medium green with red hull but none the less gonna keep searching! post-13722-0-29900400-1431954671_thumb.jpost-13722-0-02962800-1431954685_thumb.j

As I understand it, the boats were built and delivered in a gray finish, and the green was applied in the field. So you might want to do the same thing, and make the green a little uneven and "splotchy."

When I build mine (the Revell 1/72), I'm planning to use Model Master Euro I green. But I'm open to other ideas/suggestions/facts.

The 103 series boats were painted gray as delivered to the US Navy from Elco. Once in the Pacific it was determined they needed to blend in more during the daylight hours.

Remember these boats in the Solomons usually worked at night and put up during the day. They were painted green as to hide under the trees at waters edge.

PT 109 was one of the first batch delivered and there are plenty of photos showing her on the deck of the transport ship. It's obvious even in B/W photos she's painted gray at that time. The old movie was pretty accurate in that the 109 was a semi derelict when Kennedy took command. There is nothing to suggest she wasn't repainted green even before that. She most certainly would have been re-painted green while being restored.

http://www.pt103.com/index.html

This is all the reference you might need.

G

Yeah the kit came with a historical reference book so I will just use that thanks for all the help guys and yeah I had to clear my work space to make room ! I wish there were more videos on you tube of this exact kit being built but I'm just gonna go at it slow its gonna long trip!

Very neat looking. Thinking about trying one of these or perhaps the ROG offshore oil platform just for something different. Look forward to seeing your progress.

Just curious. Does it have the Packard engines or any engine room detail at all?