Model Cars Magazine Forum

1961 Starliner Mild Custom. Update, 8/8 Finished!!

A little polishing should take the blushing out, the clear might even do it, have to be very careful about draining the air tank and water trap before laying on the wet coats.

Problem is, the blushing is under 5 coats of clear.

I didn't notice anything until after a couple coats of clear.

But, now that it has cured for a few days, it seems to be "waning" a bit.

Just a couple more minor progress pics.

Engine parts are all painted & ready for detailing & assembly. I'm using the engine from the AMT '62 T-Bird.

The body is polished & ready for a light cleaning & then foil.

Leaving on vacation tomorrow, so this will be the last update for a while.

Hopefully, when I get back, things will start moving along at a little better clip. :)

Steve

DSCN4273_zps0oq3ppua.jpgDSCN4275_zps1ur3qyl2.jpgDSCN4285_zps5firzq2a.jpgDSCN4284_zpsflnwirpw.jpg

Thanks guys!

Got one side pretty much foiled last night, but no photos.

I'm laying on a hotel bed in St. Louis right now.

Those trim pieces on the Starliner top are a real bear to foil!

I'm beginning to re-think the wheels as well. I only have one set of slots &I don't like the looks of them.

I'm thinking of going with Cragar SS wheels instead.

Steve

Looks great Steve! I went to a model show in Lexington SC today and someone had a real Starliner Red on Red w/white top it was beautiful. He told me he did a complete frame of restoration about a year ago and it was flawless. Elvin

Looks great Steve! I went to a model show in Lexington SC today and someone had a real Starliner Red on Red w/white top it was beautiful. He told me he did a complete frame of restoration about a year ago and it was flawless. Elvin

I saw several '61 Starliners at a big car show in Minneapolis last month.

I believe every one of them was black. :)

Steve

Hi Steve, another big beautiful job you have going here.I am wondering if a "gold trim" package was offered,on the Starliner? .Shaun

Thanks guys!

As far as I've been able to tell Shaun, the '61 was not offered with the gold scripts as in '60.

This one is going to be a mild custom, so it gives me a little "artistic license".

I'm going to use a gold "Starliner" PE script for the trunk lid, & I think I'll omit the scripts on the front fenders.

Steve

The engine & chassis are nearly wrapped up on this build.

Just a few details here & there & then they wait for final assembly.

As I said, the engine is the AMT '62 T-Bird one pretty much straight out of the box.

The chassis is the "original article" as evidenced by all of the "stats" written on it.

The engine drops into place perfectly.

Steve

DSCN4300_zpsrslrlgis.jpgDSCN4305_zps6mtna2cq.jpgDSCN4308_zpsfhnljsbx.jpgDSCN4296_zpsqnc8rvjk.jpg

Looks really nice. Did you make the decals and washer bag yourself? Very nice details.

The decals on the generator & oil filter are some generic detail decals from one of Tommy Logan's "mini sheets".

The washer bag is molded into the fender well from the factory & is just detail painted.

Steve

Looks like bright pink on my screen.....that can't be right?

No Mike, it's bright red.

As a matter of fact, the majority of it is good old Testors #1250 flat red.

The lighting in my basement family room & my camera seem to have a real problem playing nice together, especially with red. :)

Steve