Model Cars Magazine Forum

Western Models 540K 1:43

jaxenro

Hi

This is new for me my first 1:43 kit my first metal kit and my first model in over 30 years. Plus my first workbench post.

Last thing I built was a 1:16 Rolls, if memory serves, with some horrible gold plated "chrome". Will probably have more questions than things to share but here are the parts they are sending me. Might be a few days until it comes in but meanwhile I was going to buy some sandpaper, self etching primer, sandable primer, and a few other odds and ends

540K%20Kit%20Parts_zps9ezesyx2.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

I would skip the etching primer. I've read some real horror stories with it not thoroughly drying and continuing to dissolve the metal.

Sandable primer does an excellent job on just about everything.

I'll be interested to see how this comes out.

Charlie Larkin

Thank you I will keep that in mind about the primer. I am going to keep this one simple and focus on fit and finish as opposed to trying to add details or anything fancy like the rest of you do. Removing mold lines, smoothing the body, that type of thing.

I am also working on colors was planning a black body with chrome trim. I found this photo of the interior figured I would try for something like this, it is Jack Warner's 540K so looking for a good color match and also a photo of the dashboard

H-interior_zpsnpqjwnyr.jpg

that wasn't hard

D-Dashboard_zpsl8r3te0p.jpg

D-Dashboard2_zpsy17fy61e.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

I work on the actual Jack Warner car every month. I've been taking care of it for the last 11 years. If you need any detailed

photos of the car, let me know and I can always shoot some pics when I'm there.

Here we are when we took "1st in class" at Pebble Beach". I also work on the 540K Baron Von Krieger" car too.

You can see both 540K's that I work on here > www.corbettclassics.com

Looking forward to watching your progress ..

post-15530-0-34962300-1434462903_thumb.j

Ok it came in and like I said I have more questions than things to share

The body looks mostly good but parts look rough, like the mold was chewed a little in the corners, and other parts look like they are missing a little metal. I was going to do a little cleanup on the bare metal but is it better to spray a coat of primer sooner than later to see what I am dealing with? What's a good filler to use to build up the missing trim? What would stick and not shrink later or crack under the paint?

Looks like only one missing piece (one of the side window frames) that I can tell so far so I am good to go there it looks simple enough that I can duplicate the other one.

I will try to do a close up of the body issues I see but all I have for photos is my phone so we will see how they come out

One other question the wheels look rather nice actually look like maybe turned aluminum with wire inserts the tires are rubber but they have huge sink marks the tread. How do I fill rubber?

Should I move this "build" thread to the question board instead?

Edited by jaxenro

I don't build a lot of metal models myself, but the best way to deal with the sink-marks in the tires is probably to position them in such a way that they're not visible. I don't think the vinyl (or rubber) can really be filled easily.

Window frames can probably be replicated with either brass or plastic strip.

Go to an auto-body jobber and see if you can get some All-Metal or Aluma-Fill for the body issues. The rough spots can be addressed with sandable primer like Plasti-Kote T-235 (gray) or the other colors. Sandable primer covers nicely and is good for evening out rough surfaces.

Charlie Larkin

Just to show what I am dealing with one side not to bad the other a bit rough but I suppose this is natural for white metal kits.

Starting the sand and prime now then will need to add some missing detail

IMG_0812_zpsvcn18k1q.jpg

IMG_0813_zpsavuizlrt.jpg

Edited by jaxenro

My best friend on some of the 1/43rd metal models I've worked on has been a soft brass bristle brush for abrading some of the areas.Go easy on the pressure if it's a softer alloy like white metal. I may have some tires that may be better than what came with the kit. I'd need a diameter to check tho.And I don't know if the wheels would fit. LMK

I recently prepped several diecast 1/43rd Willys for a long stalled project and used Tamiya Gray primer and it worked great for such small models. Just a thought.

Thanks tires aren't bad just some sink marks on the tread. I was looking at rubber cement for fixing flats (plugging the holes) thought I might fill them with that and then position the sink mark down. It's definitely "curbside" no engine metal axles so it isn't like I am gonna show off the underneath anyway

You do want to use the self etching primer as the first coat. I normally use Dupli-color but have used others . I have done a few hundred diecast models and have NEVER had any issues.

Dupli-color has a good filler primer that will help with small rough areas. Epoxie is great for filling in missing chunks.

It's a fun kit so far. I have one spot (ok a few) on the deck that I'm not happy with I keep primering and sanding trying to get it to the point I like it. I am having so much fun with this one I will probably look for another one of the same. Plus some others.

I have been looking at the Tin Wizard white metal Mercedes kits as well