Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the best flathead V8/transmission to use for the old Monogram 30 Model A?

29 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

1/25th vs 1/24th....I see very little difference and consistency from kit to kit. I mix them up and together all the time and don't think twice about it. (I look forward to your responses)..... -RRR  

It's a matter of personal viewpoint, personality, etc.

I was blessed (or cursed) with the old micrometer eye, and discrepancies in scale, proportion and line, and defects just jump out at me. I don't go around trying to be hyper-critical. But I instantly see what's wrong with damm near anything I happen to be looking at.

That's one reason, probably the major reason, that I finish very few models. I'm continuously seeing things I missed, or could do better, or can't yet do well enough to suit my expectations. They jump out at me and will bug me until I redo them and get them right.

Probably just as well that I'm also naturally more of the enjoy-the-journey-more-than-the-destination persuasion.  

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

It's a matter of personal viewpoint, personality, etc.

I was blessed (or cursed) with the old micrometer eye, and discrepancies in scale, proportion and line, and defects just jump out at me. I don't go around trying to be hyper-critical. But I instantly see what's wrong with damm near anything I happen to be looking at.

That's one reason, probably the major reason, that I finish very few models. I'm continuously seeing things I missed, or could do better, or can't yet do well enough to suit my expectations. They jump out at me and will bug me until I redo them and get them right.

Probably just as well that I'm also naturally more of the enjoy-the-journey-more-than-the-destination persuasion.  

yeah, I get that. I would venture to say that many of the parts in the kits (and aftermarket parts we add on) aren't accurately to scale. The journey for me is the fun part, final assembly is my least favorite part of a build. I try to not get too bogged down in the details and have fun with my chosen hobby. I think over the years I've found my comfort zone and in many ways I guess I don't really 'push' myself. I don't feel I have to make each build better and more complex than the previous one. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my senior years? -RRR

Edited by Rocking Rodney Rat

48 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

...I think over the years I've found my comfort zone and in many ways I guess I don't really 'push' myself. I don't feel I have to make each build better and more complex than the previous one. Maybe I'm getting lazy in my senior years? -RRR

I'd wager you're probably having considerably more fun with the hobby than I am. I've seen a lot of your work, and I'd be more than happy to have turned any it out myself. I really like everything I've seen you show here.

I'm currently trying to finish up a few models that ran way off the rails in terms of complexity, and I keep promising myself that my reward will be to try to lighten up on the next few.

But I always start out thinking "this one, I'm going to keep simple", and then one little thing leads to a couple more, and after a few days on the bench, it's become another monster.