Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here we go again....

Marshall,Kevin....Yep seems like my area got hit much harder than others did but the whole town has damaged trees in spots...just a block from my house there is a few houses and trees that seem to be untouched.  Many trees will need to come down their roots are pulled up some and there leaning so there gone or will be.  Our truck has 3,800.oo worth of damage to it from a tree and items that were blown around...one neighbors house will need at least 30,000.oo in repairs?  My place is pretty much cleaned up other than for all the cut up trees and limbs,etc...now if the city will just get to us and pick it all up...???  There are many cars/trucks that got crushed here by trees...the junkyards will be happy at least.

Well all the brush is finally gone now...got the 2 windows replaced in my build room found some stuff got wet and had to toss some stuff out...2 big boxes of old 60s/70s decals and original boxes to some I have here...hate putting them in baggies and risking any damage to them but looks like Ill have to.  So now I have to clean out the room and seal it up good and rebuild my work area...bummer.

I hear you Tom....the only thing is with the warnings its a C.Y.A. thing with the local weather and National Weather Service organizations to try and help protect us all but in the same note they end up having to cry wolf at times on a coming storm.   Here there is a power pole with grass blades stuck in it,cars crushed or moved,etc. but some things were untouched that were small and light weight...ours was warned to be a severe straight line wind storm but developed a few tornado touchdowns and more localized severe damage path areas throughout town.  You were lucky not to have been hit badly Tom...wouldn't wish this on anyone to have to go through let alone the second time in 4 years like our neighborhood has had.  The financial cost of repairs,clean up,and replacing things ether...some people in my area will have to do it over months of time like I will.  

The company sent me to Joplin Missouri to remove Red Box machines a few days after the F5 devastated the area. There were two of us working for 4 days , it was bad, I mean bad, I was in Arkansas and then Missouri outbreaks and never want to see that again.P4080063.JPGP4080081.JPG

P4080076.JPG

It may unfortunately sound blasé in this day and age, but you can thank the powers that be, that at least you're alive. As long as you're vertical, there's always hope for a better tomorrow, and the likelihood is that you'll end up benefiting from a new sense of appreciation for all that life has to offer.

Kevin...Very true and I do appreciate everything...I have since my brush with death in the 1996 car accident.  Still its a bummer but I figure I am pretty lucky and on borrowed time so to speak because I shouldn't really be here with everything I have been through but am...a blessing in itself. 

Kevin...Very true and I do appreciate everything...I have since my brush with death in the 1996 car accident.  Still its a bummer but I figure I am pretty lucky and on borrowed time so to speak because I shouldn't really be here with everything I have been through but am...a blessing in itself. 

I'm real surprised I made it past 20, some of my friends did not, so I can relate. Perhaps it explains why I don't tend to take little things so seriously anymore.

Kevin....I know that feeling got into some scary spots as a younger guy too.  Building is a huge part of my life so is the family collection of them...memories are priceless.  My accident changed me a lot but always tried to be a good guy...now I take time everyday just to sit and enjoy everything we often miss due to a busy life.  I have decided to take some of the slightly damaged kits and donate them to the disabled builders group here they could use them and they will have a good use...others Ill just have to work with as is.  Being disabled myself building is a good way to pass all the time away.  I use to get to St.Louis every once in awhile...you have good shops there.

Kevin...I have been there very nice place!  Have not been there in many years though...always liked he sold out of production kits as well as new issues.  Another I use to go to is Mark Twain hobby off I 70. and Shaffer's back when they still sold Johan kits....I miss them.  I hope he stays in business forever too for you...seems like a really nice guy too.  You all are lucky to have them close by.

Kevin...Yep i remember his older smaller shop too...the newer one is much more nice.  LOL..yep i bet the locals snatch up the goodies quickly there.  I got a big box of stuff that has some damage which will keep me from building them the way i wanted to and Ill take them to the disabled builders group here next week to repair and build...they need them and its not always easy to get them stuff to work on by myself...at least this way they will have a use and not be wasted.  I almost got the room sealed back up again so the cleaning should start soon in there or hopefully it will...a lot to do will have to repaint the room too.  I use to buy a lot of stuff from Chris and use to go to St.Louis just to go there....nice place.

Owing to various circumstances, I've taken to mail ordering supplies from Chris here lately. It's roughly a 28 mile round trip for me, no big deal at all normally, but all things considered, just as easy, and the shipping is negated by the offset in saved gas/wear & tear on my tired old car.