Model Cars Magazine Forum

Group Gremlin build guidelines and start date.

b-body fan

So.... I've decided that go a whole different route than usual for me on this one. I typically spend a lot of time on interiors are under hood details. My paint jobs and usually single colors. Not this time!! Should be fun!! All comments welcome. Thanks, Mike.

20150902_231022.jpg

20150902_230934.jpg

20150903_170033.jpg

It's been really humid here too.  I can't guarantee that I will finish, but I am going to jump in with a 1976 Gremlin.  Probably going to go factory stock, but if I don't find a color in my stash that's a pretty close match for a 1976 AMC color, I might just paint it a wild color and throw all of the drag parts on instead.  When I was in Middle School, I took a Gremlin kit and I painted it Red White and Blue like the racing ones, but I made mine a custom, with wide wheels and tires off of a 1/24 Monogram Corvette, and sidepipes!  For the paint, I used metallic rattle cans for the red and blue, and silver, to replace the white.  I used the custom grill material and square quad headlights from the custom van parts kit, and I cut "T" tops into it using food container lids for the glass.  I think it would have been at least three feet off the ground, with ladder bars and wheelie bars made from paper clips.  (Sewing buttons were my wheelie bar wheels back in the day)   I wish I still had the old Gremlin, so we could all laugh at pictures of it today, but it is long gone.  

I was thinking of replicating the old beast, but trying to make a juvenile build with adult skills and patience.  It was not within the guidelines of this build, though.  I'll just stick to an out of the box build and keep it simple and fun.

It's funny you said that DaveM. Juvenile is the word in my head as I build mine. I'm keeping it pretty simple for the most part. It's just a lot less sloppy than it would have been 30 years ago! The appeal of this project was the simplicity. A nice relaxing stress free build. I hope you enjoy yourself as much as I am with this project. Mike.

I like the scale effect on your Gremlin Mike. I'll need to remember that trick. I got a little more done tonight on mine. Painted the tail light panel white to match the stripes, and did some chrome trim. My eyes have really gone down hill since i've done any serious building!!!! :lol: Still not sure about that red bottom..... Quick question on colors. I need some opinions on interior colors. Do i go tan to contrast the green, or go with a lighter shade of green to go with it?

Edited by bismarck

I like the scale effect on your Gremlin Mike. I'll need to remember that trick. I got a little more done tonight on mine. Painted the tail light panel white to match the stripes, and did some chrome trim. My eyes have really gone down hill since i've done any serious building!!!! :lol: Still not sure about that red bottom..... Quick question on colors. I need some opinions on interior colors. Do i go tan to contrast the green, or go with a lighter shade of green to go with it?

light green!!