Model Cars Magazine Forum

An old rhd mini is the best cause the LHD have no dead pedal/foot rest space.....

And there is newer rhd cars in the country in new York there is a 2002 Alfa romeo coupe(not the 8c or 4c) also according to the (forgot the site) new BMWs are made to meet world regulations, cause the site lists 2010 and newer for legal importation. I've looked into it and its best to say to buy from a place that does it right by the books and papers! As some places dont. In vero beach Florida, at a website call wiredwheels they had a 1994 tvr griffith for sale not road legal even tough Florida has no inspections or regulations like new York or Cali for example. But that one website I linked few posts up "japanese classics" they are legit! All vehicles are ready to pick up with virgina titles! The titles easily transfers in states, also a road legal R32 gtr is less than 30g's and you got keys in hand driving home! I personally rather have some of the Japanese keijidosha ("kei" mirco cars) instead Mazda az-1 and Suzuki cappuccino, mmmmmmmmm. Lol

That not 100% accurate. You can bring over "gray market" vehicles, but you cannot license or register them for road use until the met US emissions and safety standards., plus pay the import taxes and other fees. This includes supplying a bill of sale, motor vehicle tax forms RUT-35 or RUT-50, vehicle transaction form VSD-190, US customs form7501 "entry summary", DOT form HS-7, US EPA form 3520-1.

There are exceptions; 1, the importer or importer's agent submits documentation that the vehicle is in compliance with US emissions and safety standards; 2,A manufacturers Certificate of Origin has been issued showing the vehicle is in compliance with US EPA and DOT standards; or 3, the vehicle is 25 years old or older. This all from the Grey Market Vehicle Guidelines brochure for the State of Illinois.

interesting, but I wasn't even thinking of gray market cars, most people that I know who have brought a 25+ year old vehicle into the States from Europe have brought in Collector vehicles not gray market vehicles.  These were the Federal Statutes  we worked to when we imported our Mini in from the U.K. To the Port of Tacoma in 2000.  We then took the U.K. Title/proof of ownership to my local State DOL where they swapped the title into our name, no inspection, no emissions check, nothing, the Customs said it was good to go so the DOL accepted it.  They even gave me back the original title as a collectible piece to go with the car, I still have it in my safe.   ( I know of at least a dozen Mini's brought into the U.S. From both U.K and Japan since then, there was no hassle, no Federalizing of emissions equipment; the only thing checked on the vehicle and paperwork was that it was 25+ years old, being an early '70's Mini there was no issue whatsoever, not even the RHD was a question.)  It is extremely simple to import a collector vehicle into the U.S., many of the U.S. Customs Agents who work with vehicle importation are quite familiar with what they are looking for and what they are looking at.  I'm not saying that there was not some Customs research along the way that I may have been unaware of, just none that I am aware of.  The last year that the Mini's were imported to Dealerships in the U.S. Was 1967 then discontinued for supposed safety issues as were a few other Foreign car makes, most likely for taking a bite out of Detroit's sales.