Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ognibs other deuce

Ognib

Ray, this is really looking fine.

Look though, the earlier discussion about nut/bolt sizing.  The ones that are really more visible are on the larger, milled piece.  This is what draws the attention, and pleasure later on.  Not so much the half hidden things.  From what I see, the larger milled piece needs some TLC not so much the smaller part next to the brake rotor.

I realize the rotors will be drilled, I can imagine at this time you could decide which color and/or size to go with.

Great progress you're showing,  I really like this stuff.  Looks really tasty and touchable.

Thanks, Michael.

Ya, I agree.  The bigger piece with the ribs will grab a lot of the visual landscape in that part of the car.  That's the piece where I've been undecided as to which size bolt to use.

Nah, I don't obsess over details tooo much...:blink:

Scott, the mill bits are from Grizzly & taps from Micro Mark

It's the weekend. I was a good boy & took care of business all week. Now I'm gonna play.

Couple of machine screws & a coupling nut to securely clamp all the side pieces in place for marking bolt hole locations.

So I'm in my model corner this morning, looking over the obvious things that I need to accomplish.
But in the back of my mind there's this nagging something that's bugging me.

Couple more cups of coffee & it occurs to me that I still haven't finalized in my mind exactly how I'm going to hang this thing in the frame.
I'm real big on having clear pictures in my head of how everything should look as I proceed from one step to the next.
So I've spent the entire day, to this point, mining all the on line pics I could find that would illustrate how irs center sections are mounted.

Found these. Not a winters or what you might call a traditional looking quick change, but I like the way it's mounted.
Lower cradle is hung on turnbuckles for fine tuning pinion angle, I assume.
It's open in it's design & doesn't conflict with the visual impact of the center section itself.

Decided to mock it up in the frame with the body, to further enhance my visualization of the mounts.

With the body at ride height, there it is, staring out at you. :)

Looks like I'll have room for fuel cell, drysump tank & battery.
However, I have just about arrived at the point where I NEED the wheels & tires I'm going to use.
Will need the measurement on wheel center height for calculating how high to set the center section in the frame.

It looks a bit oversized right now, but it'll loose a lot of that bulk once it's cut down to match the back cover.

Very impressive Ray.

The 1:1 rear end pic is just sick.  With the wide rear tires, such a setup seems correct to me, at least from an optical view.  Not an expert on these areas, rather model what the pros do.

The dimensions of your mock up look good to me too.  I like.

Thanks, Michael.  So far things are fitting together fairly well.  I'm the same as you, if I haven't had experience with an area I'm modeling, I just take my cues from the 1:1 world & what their parts & structures look like.

When I initially shaped this piece, I purposely left it slightly oversized for final shaping later. This allowed adequate material for cutting a flat on the top for locating a frame mounding pad. At 1:1, it's a 4" x 4" area.

Now I can balance the position of the sides for drilling bolt holes.

Edited by Ognib

Found these...

and these...same tread but not quite so tall, for big n littles, back & front.

These are a slick with just the slightest hint of tread in them...

same tread, but not quite so tall for front.

Thanks, Scott.  It's an exciting time in that corner, right now.  :)

I like the slicks also, but wonder if they would eliminate the "street car that gets taken to the track" vibe that I'm trying to project with the model.

I am planning on cutting my own rims.  Something simple & straightforward.

Thanks for the feedback, everyone.   Really helps my thought perspective on this.

Dave, thanks much for the info!

Found these, too.  this one, for the back, is almost identical in size to the ones I've been mocking up with.  This looks good for street.HPI_V_Groove_Tire_M_Compound.jpg

Considering this for the front.  Tread doesn't match the V-groove exactly on the one above, but it's on a 1.9" rim...all of the previous are 2.2"  The slight difference in rim size will enhance the big/little stager that I want visually for the car.  Then as I build, I can keep looking for a better tread match in a 1.9.

HPI_Vintage_Racing_Tire_Compound.jpg

Edited by Ognib

Ya, they look right to me too.  I ordered the big ones for the back today & 2 different considerations for the front...see which I like best.  Fortunately they are fairly inexpensive so I can give myself some options to choose from.

My evening project was to build a tapping block to hold the tap vertical over the hole being tapped.
It has a large enough footprint that I can float it anywhere on the side of the case for tapping side cover holes.
Poor alignment with the hole is rated as one of the main causes of tap breakage in very small sizes.