Model Cars Magazine Forum

How do I bend parts without breaking them?

I am working in an older kit a 1/24th scale 53 corvette. the box says its from 1991. Not that this may matter.

I am putting together the front suspension and the Front sway bay they supplied me with is horribly warped. I would like to know the best way to bend the bar into shape. My plan was to glue the sway bar down at the brackets, let it dry and then glue the 2 bars down to the cross member or whatever it is called.

The pic does not illustrate how bad the warping is but you get an idea.

IMG_0123.thumb.jpg.10f9d24622137082d6076

The next two Illustrate how it should attach. The rod attaching points are flat with no holes in them. I can see now it would be a pain to do this even if the part was not warped. They provided no holes or anything for the sway bar ends to mount into. I have not yet glued this down I am worried I might break the part. 

IMG_0125.thumb.jpg.cbf797989359df7677b12

IMG_0126.thumb.jpg.929fed222adaee7da5c82

If you guys need more info let me know.

good thing I did not attempt it yet. Hot water, Check!

Sad thing is however I discovered that I will need to cut the sway bar in the middle, take out 1-2mm to shorten it as it is too long. Of course, the ends are the problem area I was worried about breaking accidentally while trying to bend them. 

Fill a coffee cup with the hottest tap water and put it the microwave for 30-45 seconds.  Dip the end that needs to be straightened in the water for 15-20 seconds then bend the end to the position you want it then do the other end.  You may have to experiment with the time in the water and bend slowly/gently.  Works for me.

Edited by wilderness1989