Model Cars Magazine Forum

Monthly Get Together

:o WOW!!! Great responses from some terrific builders here. Am I the only "rookie" that wants to spend some time face to face with these guys? I can't believe it. Again guys, work out day and time that works best for you, I'll handle the pizza/pasta/adult beverages. Just let me know. I'm gonna feel like a kid in a candy shop. :lol: :lol: :lol::D :D

hey raul thats a good idea about meeting up in tracy and carpooling into the bay area.

i dont live in folsom; thats probably jerry amaral youre thinking of. i currently live in east sacramento by mckinley park but i am currently moving to a new house on ryer island in the delta. thats probably closer to tracy, 160 to antioch and then over the east slopes of mt diablo...im guessing here, dont really know that route exists but i bet theres a shortcut. anyway keep me in the loop or even if you guys locally are getting together let me know (after march 31). getting hossian over would be a great idea too, hes always got a bunch of interesting projects going on.

so all this talk about declining hobby shops, has anyone been to university hardware in berzerkley? the basement is the hobby shop and its pretty interesting with some out of producition kits and a good slot car dept. its the ace hardware right on university ave where it deadends into the university. ive not been there in a year or so but i understand chuck keeps it well stocked.

:lol: O.K. gang,

Got a great place picked out. Pizza/pasta place located on Winchester Blvd , in Campbell, "Luigi's, in the Safeway shopping center across from St. Lucys church. Talked to the owner. He has a set aside area available which can handle up to 40 people.

5 minutes from D&J hobby and 10 minutes from Hobby Town on Blossem Hill Rd. A 2:00 PM time would give out of towners plenty of time to get here, grab some kits, before or after, have some great food, BS a while, and still get home at a reasonable hour. You guys that have to travel, pick a date, let me know, and I'll take care of the rest. Still looking for some other "newbies" to take advantage of this chance to meet the pros.

How's Sunday, April 6th, 13th or 20th work for everyone? Those are the days that Curt and I are available. I'll check with Jerry, but those days should be good with him, too.

If you're interested, and I don't already have your email address, please send me a PM with your email address so we can coordinate this offline.

Thanks,

How's Sunday, April 6th, 13th or 20th work for everyone? Those are the days that Curt and I are available. I'll check with Jerry, but those days should be good with him, too.

If you're interested, and I don't already have your email address, please send me a PM with your email address so we can coordinate this offline.

Thanks,

April 6th or 20th would work for me... Keep me informed.

:o WOW!!! Great responses from some terrific builders here. Am I the only "rookie" that wants to spend some time face to face with these guys? I can't believe it. Again guys, work out day and time that works best for you, I'll handle the pizza/pasta/adult beverages. Just let me know. I'm gonna feel like a kid in a candy shop. :rolleyes::lol::D :D :D

Hey Milt got your msg....and read all the posts (hey guys)..and sounds good to me I'll make it if I can, keep me in the loop :P as for face time, I think we all enjoy meeting each other when we can, but as you can see modern day logistics can make scheduling a challenge ;) as for hobby shops I'd like to plug a friends place Yannis Hobbies in Mt. View 4846 El Camino it's about 2 blks. from the old San Antonio Hobbies..in fact he worked in models there and opened up his own place after they closed up. It's small store but he's making a go of it!...some of you may know him through SVSM..anyway stop by if your in the area and check him out :D

hi raul:

>Sunday, April 6th, 13th or 20th

any of those days would be good for me, would prefer the latter two of the three.

maybe we could meet up some weekend out at my new farm, help me go through my models since the move and maybe even help me build a spray booth, AND a photo booth!

:rolleyes:

hi raul:

any of those days would be good for me, would prefer the latter two of the three.

maybe we could meet up some weekend out at my new farm, help me go through my models since the move and maybe even help me build a spray booth, AND a photo booth!

:P

Sounds good, Bill! Based on the responses I've received, it's looking like we'll get together on the 20th.

I'll send email notes to everyone that responded early next week.

Later,

Hey Milt got your msg....and read all the posts (hey guys)..and sounds good to me I'll make it if I can, keep me in the loop ;) as for face time, I think we all enjoy meeting each other when we can, but as you can see modern day logistics can make scheduling a challenge ;) as for hobby shops I'd like to plug a friends place Yannis Hobbies in Mt. View 4846 El Camino it's about 2 blks. from the old San Antonio Hobbies..in fact he worked in models there and opened up his own place after they closed up. It's small store but he's making a go of it!...some of you may know him through SVSM..anyway stop by if your in the area and check him out :P

Hey Brian,

If we can get some interest and a date/time, I'm going to try to make up a few flyers to distribute to LHSs. Now that I have your friends address, I'll try to get one to him. No promises, I'm puter bad, but working on it.

hi raul:

:P

Hey guy,

Can't help you with the spray booth. Just ordered one from Bob Pace, tired of painting in my closet. But, I do have a great design that I stole on line for a photo light box. Cheap and works well. Would be glad to share it with you.

Milt

It's looking like the get together in the bay area will be on April 20th. For those of you who already sent me a PM with your email address, I'll also send a confirmation when I get time later this week.

Thanks to Milt for the great idea and thanks to everyone who has responded!! :lol:

Milt,

Please post the time and the address of the place where we'll be meeting.

Regards,

Man sometimes I wish I was still in California so I could meet you guys. :)

Sounds like some recon is in order here...time to talk to your CO (Ani) :P I could cover transportation and lodging once you get here.

We're not meeting for another 25 days. A true die-hard Marine could run here by then! B)

Edited by Raul_Perez

O.K. gang, here it is.

Date: Sunday, April 20, 2008

Time: Noon.

Place: Luigi's Pizza & Pasta

South end of Campbell Plaza shopping center

2495 Winchester Blvd.

Campbell, Ca. 95008

(408) 378-6862

The shopping center is across from St. Lucy's church, and Luigi's is between Safeway and the movie theater.

I'll be the bald guy in a black jacket or tee shirt.

See ya there.

Milt

Pretty cool party you guys have put together. I'm really looking forward to it.

And Milt, you are likely NOT to be the only bald guy in a black t-shirt. Sigh...

Ron

Hey Ron,

Anyplace in your area that you would recommend placing a flyer? I'm really trying to get other "rookies" like myself into this. Great chance to meet 1 on 1 with some top builders.

O.K. gang, here it is.

Date: Sunday, April 20, 2008

Time: Noon.

Place: Luigi's Pizza & Pasta

South end of Campbell Plaza shopping center

2495 Winchester Blvd.

Campbell, Ca. 95008

(408) 378-6862

The shopping center is across from St. Lucy's church, and Luigi's is between Safeway and the movie theater.

I'll be the bald guy in a black jacket or tee shirt.

See ya there.

Milt

Oh-Oh guess I'd better not wear a black jacket or tee shirt...don't wanna confuse the guyz

my avatar is the last picture of me with a head of hair.... :lol:

gosh I used to live right behind this shopping center...another wifetime ago....

c'ya on the 20th

I'll try and swing the 20th, that gives me plenty of time to make arrangements.

Just so I'm clear on the concept is everybody supposed to bring some little tip or technique to swap? Kind of like a whole bunch of little mini presentations? I could... well I'm good at... Hey, I have some experience getting my fingers unstuck from small parts. :P Actually some not so small parts, I still have a little bit of skin glued to the inside of a resin truck cab. :blink::lol:

Edited by Aaronw

I'll try and swing the 20th, that gives me plenty of time to make arrangements.

Just so I'm clear on the concept is everybody supposed to bring some little tip or technique to swap? Kind of like a whole bunch of little mini presentations? I could... well I'm good at... Hey, I have some experience getting my fingers unstuck from small parts. :lol: Actually some not so small parts, I still have a little bit of skin glued to the inside of a resin truck cab. :blink::rolleyes:

Aaron,

Yep...bring anything, finished or not. This is as unformal as it gets!!

You're also welcome to meet up with some of us in Tracy, if you want. I've got a van that seats 7 and so far only 3 seats are reserved.

Later,

Yep Aaron,

As Raul says, about as casual as it gets. Think of it as an informal NNL, if you can imagine that. Bring what you want, if you want. Just a bunch of guys getting together over lunch, and perhaps a beverage or two, to BS. I'm trying to attract "newbies" like myself for a chance to meet 1 on 1 with some terrific builders.

Hey Ron,

Anyplace in your area that you would recommend placing a flyer? I'm really trying to get other "rookies" like myself into this. Great chance to meet 1 on 1 with some top builders.

Oh, I'd say about the closest is the place Brian mentioned, Yannis Hobbies in Mt. View: 4846 El Camino. I only had a few minutes to check it out Wednesday, small, but first rate and definitely a welcome addition. I certainly hope he can make it work. I will spend some hobby dollars down there soon!

cool breeze, i think i will bring along the offy powered T lakester ive been dawdling about on for the past few years, might get me motivated to finish it soon, soon as i put my life back together from a major move currently being made.

hey heres a tip: acetone (finger nail polish remover) will unstick super glue i think. dont quote me on that but i believe its so. it will prevent pieces of non-scale skin remaining with a model as a testimony to the blood sweat and tears of the build!