Model Cars Magazine Forum

Alclad over future?

Has anyone out there tried alclad over future, then seal the alcad with future? I'm sure it would work, but the real question is will it hold up? I would try it, but i have something to finish by a deadline and i dont have time to experiment.

In my experience, any clears over Alclad will cut down significantly on the reflectivity of the paint. My recommendation would be to use a gloss black, then Alclad, then leave it alone until it's fully cured. Try to keep from handling it as Alclad can be damaged from skin oils.

Has anyone out there tried alclad over future, then seal the alcad with future? I'm sure it would work, but the real question is will it hold up? I would try it, but i have something to finish by a deadline and i dont have time to experiment.

I have heard it doesn't work well, but i haven't tried it personally.. My guess is the future is too "hard" of a finish for the alclad to bite into... therefore effecting durability.  

What i have been doing, and it seems to work really well is using duplicolor enamel gloss black, followed by duplicolor clear straight from the can...(something i read on here somewhere)  The clear occasionally fogs/frosts but i keep a heat gun next to me when i paint, a quick gentle hit with that and the frosting goes away.   As soon as i set down the can of clear i get the airbrush ready to shoot the alclad.... I try to shoot the alclad within 10-15minutes of the clear being shot, this way it is still somewhat soft and the solvents in the alclad can do their job effectively. 

This is surprisingly quick and pretty durable for handling... I would assume this technique would be quicker than future..  just wanted to throw in my .02

F09E38B7-0BC5-461F-B4EF-733A7F7A06D2.jpg

All of this chrome was done with this technique... in one evening.... no top coat.

9DE935A8-1472-434D-9F72-9F78A8AE9077.jpg

Edited by Impalow

I've shot Alclad over a Future with great results.

I laid down a flat black base and then shot the Future to give it a shine. The Alclad holomatic spectral chrome was shot over the Future within 12 hours. I then used Alclad's clear gloss as the final coat. It wasn't as shiny after the gloss coat but that wasn't my intention, I wanted the spectral aspect over the whole car. The clear provides a great barrier for handling and durability.

Danger

I've shot Alclad over a Future with great results.

I laid down a flat black base and then shot the Future to give it a shine. The Alclad holomatic spectral chrome was shot over the Future within 12 hours. I then used Alclad's clear gloss as the final coat. It wasn't as shiny after the gloss coat but that wasn't my intention, I wanted the spectral aspect over the whole car. The clear provides a great barrier for handling and durability.

Danger

Thanks Danger!  That is good to know, i will have to try it on something.

Thanks for the info fellas! By the way, have any of you used the alclad aluminum? I tried it but i think a black base was too dark, it looked more like platinum than aluminum......

Are you referring to their "polished aluminum"? If so, yes. And I find that it is even easier than their chrome to get the desired result. That is, it is even more idiot-proof than chrome. 

What i have been doing, and it seems to work really well is using duplicolor enamel gloss black, followed by duplicolor clear straight from the can...(something i read on here somewhere)  The clear occasionally fogs/frosts but i keep a heat gun next to me when i paint, a quick gentle hit with that and the frosting goes away.   As soon as i set down the can of clear i get the airbrush ready to shoot the alclad.... I try to shoot the alclad within 10-15minutes of the clear being shot, this way it is still somewhat soft and the solvents in the alclad can do their job effectively. 

How much time do you give it between the black and the clear? That engine looks terrific!

How much time do you give it between the black and the clear? That engine looks terrific!

that depends... I have gone from a few hours, up to a couple days...it doesn't seem to matter much as long as its dry,

I know the parts on the engine I did entirely in one evening. Black base, clear and Alclad.

Thank you for the compliment!