Model Cars Magazine Forum

I Goofed And Used Cheap Masking Tape, Now What?

You might want to try a mild wax such as Novus or what I use to get rid of epoxy film----- Meguiar's Car Cleaner Wax.

Is the paint fully cured? 'Cuz you don't want to do anything until the paint has fully dried.

Another bit of advice: Tamiya Tape! :) It's the best stuff out there for masking! :lol:

Try some kind of cooking oil (Canola, olive oil etc). It works on a lot of the adhesives you find on tapes and stickers. I discovered this by mistake when I was cooking: There was a paper label on my new kitchen countertop, and I had tried a lot of different chemicals on it without success. Then I happened to leave a bottle of olive oil sitting right on the label overnight, and as bottles of olive oil tend to do, it left some olive oil on the countertop. The next day I was wiping the counter clean, and the label came right off.

Thanks gentlemen, I have some of the professional green masking tape, but I was being very frantic about trying a new (to me) paint technique making paint stencils out of plain index cards. I was designing the patterns of the index cards, then cutting them out and tracing them onto the tape. I would them apply the tape and paint. So far it is turning out pretty good except for the tape residue.

Thanks gentlemen, I have some of the professional green masking tape, but I was being very frantic about trying a new (to me) paint technique making paint stencils out of plain index cards. I was designing the patterns of the index cards, then cutting them out and tracing them onto the tape. I would them apply the tape and paint. So far it is turning out pretty good except for the tape residue.

I've also heard that WD40 works. I personally have nevber tried it, but hey...ya never know....

Get "Goo Gone". Any hardware aisle should have it and it works every time. Its a citrus based product so it will be safe for all finishes (so far for me). Dab it on, give it a few seconds, wipe it off and do a quick rinse and mild soap wash.

Bob

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ive used novice num 2 before and ive used rubbing alcohol pads that you can get from pharmacy or drs office, takes off tape residue and no damage to paint,

also maybe warm water with DAWN DISH DETREGENT??

bill d.

ok guys, so I am building a low rider with an intricate paint pattern. I know better but I did it anyway, now I need to know how to remove tape reside without messing up the paint I have applied thus far. Thanks for the help in advance.

Guest Gramps-xrds

when I was lettering pulling trucks I often used contact paper for lettering stencils. It almost always left adheasive when I took it off. I used mineral spirits and baby powder to remove it. The baby powder keeps it from resticking. If it's fresh enamel try cooking oil and talc.