Model Cars Magazine Forum

key holes - paint? foil? ...

I'll be painting a car body with Testors MM Custom Lacquor system (base + clear coat).  I'll be airbrushing it on so it should be a bit thinner than right out of the can.

I'm assuming the tiny raised key holes on the doors will be less noticeable after the paint is applied.

What are some techniques for the key holes? 

Should I brush paint them or use BMF?  They are very tiny.  

Should I remove them and make new ones with some styrene rod?

I have some PE keyholes from Model Car Garage that I like to use. They are on a rubber backing so they don't have to be cut off a fret and trimmed . very easy application.

I checked so I could give a link but they don't have them listed. <_< They were called Door Lock Cylinders MGC-604. I'm going to have to look somewhere else as I'll be needing some soon.

This is a van I used them on ..

I do mine the same way I do scripts.

Foil them right before the final color coat, clean them off with a little thinner on a tooth pick, & then clear coat over them.

Steve

I use the same technique (it also works very well for raised scripts) except I use small strips of balsa instead of toothpicks. The balsa is more porous and will soak up more thinner.

For me, keyholes are way too small to try foiling after painting as are scripts.  I use Steven's method of foiling before paint, or, carefully paint the keyholes with chrome silver paint on the end of a toothpick after painting.  The MCG PE keyholes are great if you can get them.  The Galaxie Chevy kits come with some nice keyholes on the sheet of chrome trim too.

I really like the look of the MCG door lock cylinders.  It's too bad they are so hard to find now.

The kit I'm building is an MPC 69 Charger and the key holes or rather raised bumps aren't very pronounced to begin with.  I'm not sure they will show much after the color and clear coat are sprayed on. 

• 4 weeks later...

I've thought in my head that maybe a pinhead would work for a keyhole, just sharpie a key line on it, cut the head off leaving maybe 1/8" of the pin, drill a small hole in the key hole that's on the plastic body and then shove it in there. What do you guys think?

That sounds like it would work.

I sent for the metal decals Theo gave a link to and I am really pleased with them! There are many pieces I'll use.. rings and keyholes galore.