Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Camaro Kits - Help please

Hey folks

Could do with a little guidance. I have the Revell Yenko Camaro which to my eye is a superb kit, so nice that I'd like to get at least one more, but I'm a wee bit unsure as to which of the currently available kits are (relatively) new releases and which are re-treads of the older Monogram kit.

Over to you folks, any help is very welcome.

Ian.

67 SS.JPG

69 ZL1.JPG

69 Z28 RS.JPG

Those  69s are fairly recent and very nice kits....largely the same as the one you have already.

you already know about the old and poorly done Mongram kit (which was a 69 and,fortunately, it was obvious from the box art that it was poorly proportioned).

Edited by mike 51

The second and third pic you have are of the same origins as your Yenko kit. The '67 is an all new tool, but to me has some problems in a couple places on the body. Namely the rear end, and the grille shape. From what I've seen, the '67 builds up nicely, and besides the body issues, I've heard nothing bad about the way it goes together.

Hope this helps!

The Revell '69s date back to the early '90s. They're a common family, differing in engines, wheels, hoods, and so forth. They're nice.

The Revell '67 is much newer, and has some shape accuracy problems that some people see and some people don't. I see them.

The old bad Monogram 69 Camaro kit is 1:24th scale and the later 90's Revell kit is 1:25th scale and that's the easiest way to see the difference.
I think I have read somewhere that the Revell 69 Camaro (wich is a very good kit by the way) has it's roots in the old Monogram large 1:12th scale kit and was downsized to 1:25th scale when it was tooled up in the 90's...I could be wrong but I think it has gone through my head sometime.

Gentlemen you've all been a great help, cheers for that.

If I can find one on eBay, I'll probably get the ZL-1, as I have the Monogram 1:12 Z/28. And the ZL-1 is/was one of the least known of the Camaro 'specials'. I love that really understated look, like the big block 68 Dart's it doesn't shout 'everybody look at me'. I s'pose that makes it more of a challenge as a model aswell - it's a 'special' car and the builder has to somehow bring that out.

Thanks again folks.

Ian.

You can build a ZL-1 from a common Yenko kit, and many have done so over the years. All you really need to do is swap the wheels for common Rallys (some ZL-1s had them), or the dog dish hubcaps from a Nova.

The ZL-1s aren't "least known" at all. There were 69 built, and every one of them has been fully documented as to how it was built, and this information is readily available on the net.

Thanks 'Snake' - perhaps I should have qualified the comment by saying that the ZL-1's were "least known" to me - which is 100% accurate. Well as it's turned-out I found a few on eBay, but whilst browsing generally for Camaro's, I found a seller in the UK who has the RoG boxing of the Z/28 RS for very few pennies and very low postage.

So I bought it for just £17.98GBP ($27.75 USD) including the postage and now it is on it's way here to sunny Middle Earth.:o

Green with black trim looks very good to my eye. What do you guys think ??

Ian.

69-Chevy-Camaro-396-Green-003.jpg

The seller dispatched it within six hours of my paying !! - What a guy !!.  

Again thanks for all the help folks much appreciated. I have a couple of NASCAR builds on the go and my first ever 'Super Stocker' after I clear those and a couple of aircraft builds, I'll start-in on one of the Camaro's.

AFN

Ian.