Model Cars Magazine Forum

Movin On Kenworth color.

Hey Angelo,

You might try an e-mail to Mr. Paul Sagehorn, he is the current owner of one of the actual rigs they used for filming and did the restoration on the truck (and quite beautifully I might add). I would consider he to be the best person to guide you.

In the meantime:

I can't find it right now, but I recall seeing a spec. sheet on the actual truck and the paint was listed as DuPont? metallic jade green (pretty sure the sheet even had the actual paint code number...I'll keep looking). In the mean time, I would suggest trying any of the automotive rattle cans of that color, should get you pretty close.

Here's another thought on "pretty close", figure we've seen pictures and video of the actual truck in many different lighting conditions, in my eye, I don't think I'd ever be able to come up with an EXACT match, so close enough works for me.

Good luck and I look forward to seeing your version soon.

brinx

Thank you Mike for all the info.  I'll work on those suggestions.  Thanks.  Meanwhile I found this Testors on the net.  Looks pretty close I think.

And like you said, all the photos look a different green shade.   I have a bunch of photos and they are all different. 

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Edited by angelo7

Angel, if you have an air brush, I have the exact colors, mixed by Scale Finishes. A 2 oz bottle of Kenworth Ivy Bronze, metallic, and 1 oz bottles of Kenworth Lime and White. I was going to build a 1/16th VIT, but it is so far down the list of projects, I would let them go, if you what them. All 3 are premixed, brand new, and unopened. P.M. Me if you are interested. Reasonably priced as well.

Mark-- Thanks for the offer but I don't have an air brush.

Mike (Mike77)-- That one looks great.  That's more or less the green shade I want, dark.  I plan to paint the chassis green also.

Russell-- Thanks for the link.

Bill-- I didn't even think about automotive paint but I think I'll give a check and see what I find at the Auto Parts.   Thanks.

• 5 years later...
On 11/13/2015 at 10:18 AM, purepmd said:

Angel, if you have an air brush, I have the exact colors, mixed by Scale Finishes. A 2 oz bottle of Kenworth Ivy Bronze, metallic, and 1 oz bottles of Kenworth Lime and White. I was going to build a 1/16th VIT, but it is so far down the list of projects, I would let them go, if you what them. All 3 are premixed, brand new, and unopened. P.M. Me if you are interested. Reasonably priced as well.

Do you still have the paint

I have done some research on the subject and as far as I know the paint Kenworth used on the 1974-75 W900 V.I.T. trucks like the Movin On trucks is a Ford/Mercury color from 1971-73 and it's called Ivy Bronze, Ivy Glow or Ivy Glamour depending on year and make and it's metallic.
So you can go to your local car paint place and they can mix it up for you, or buy it from Scale Finishes.

Edited by Force

The one problem with 1:1 paint mixing/creation of metalflake paint is the sheer size of the metal flakes on models. What I prefer for scale effect is airbrushing diluted pearl color nail polish. What would be handy is if some Movin' On fan can take a swatch of that proper green color and see if there are any really close pearl green nail polishes that come really close to that color.

You have to compare the nail polish colors to a sample of the real paint to be able to get close and it's not certain you will find one, kind of close yes but perfect...well I don't know...it depends on how picky you are.
But I don't think you will find any paint with small enough metallic flakes to be correct scale wise for 1:25th scale, I mean the flakes in metallic paints for real cars are very small and you have to make the flakes 25 times smaller for it to be correct and they will be nearly unvisible to the naked eye, I haven't seen any paint with that small metallic flakes anywhere.

WOW, I started this thread 5 years ago.  I ended up using Model Master,  Medium Green  FS 34102.  The can top (cap) has the number 1913 on it.  It is not metallic though and is a flat color.  I clear coated  it 3 times  with Testors High Gloss Clear TE 1814 .  This is how it looks like.  One of my favorite projects.

mov.jpg

Untitled01.jpg

Edited by angelo7