Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italeri's old Opel "Blitz"

Correct, they were named the 5th SS Panzer Division after Kursk. Prior to that they were just called the 5th SS Division. 

I'm trying to integrate some historical accuracy here! :lol:

G

They came back from Kursk pretty well depleted. They could have been known as the 5th SS Panzer Company after that meat grinder.:blink:

Kursk is still the largest tank battle ever. July and August of 1943 decided the war in the east for sure. 

If I recall correctly about 200,000 Germans and 250,000 Russians were killed in total. Total tank and assault gun losses, both sides,  was over 7000. 

7000 tanks, that boggles the mind. 

G

I saw a special on the Kursk battlefield in the present day, and a team of diggers had found and un-earthed the COMPLETE front glacius plate from a TIGER 1!! complete with visor block, MG socket with remains attached, and some part numbers still visible. That must have been one heck of an explosion to remove that piece of armor  from the main hull!!  :blink:

Kevin, the things being unearthed lately, 70 years after the end of the war, are truly fantastic. That find seriously points to the savagery of that battle. 

Thank you Dan, I try my best!

Peter,

I know enough german to get in trouble, or my face slapped, whatever.  :o

It probably should be "nicht offnen" , but hey it's in the ball park right? :D

G

• 1 month later...