Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Auto ID 185

PM me with your answer. Do NOT identify the car in the publicly readable forum, as that ruins it for other players.

I'm widening the constraints on the game. Cars do not need to have been production models. They may be unique, as long as the players have some chance of finding them. (This also does not mean I am taking over again - I figure we are grown up enough to take turns. If it means we get two cars to guess in a week, so be it.)

Answer Friday.

1951 Hoffmann

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/hoffmann.html

Fortunately, there was only ever one of them.

Those who got it right:

bobthehobbyguy
maltsr
slotbaker
Thom
sjordan2
dw1603
Matt Bacon
carsntrucks4you
Earl Marischal

For unknown reasons, I am unable to edit the original post.

Edited by otherunicorn

This thing is horribly fascinating and strangely attractive. The British "Bond Minicar" used very similar Ingredients but put them together differently. It drove (and steered) pointy end first and was moderately successful, they sold nearly 25,000 of them over eighteen years. You could drive one on a bike licence, which probably helped but it was still regarded with contempt by "proper" motorists. 

This thing is horribly fascinating and strangely attractive. The British "Bond Minicar" used very similar Ingredients but put them together differently. It drove (and steered) pointy end first and was moderately successful, they sold nearly 25,000 of them over eighteen years. You could drive one on a bike licence, which probably helped but it was still regarded with contempt by "proper" motorists. 

The above pretty much sums up my thoughts on it, and on things like the Bond. Nowadays, out here (Australia) it is harder to get a bike licence, so there wouldn't be any market for them! They wouldn't pass Australian design rules either.

• 3 months later...

I've heard that Bill Mitchell had a Mako Shark on his office wall during the development of the Corvette C2. Do you think that Herr Hoffmann had a Monkfish on his wall?

Yes , I knew about the Mako Shark in Bill Mitchell's office during the C2 development . I would like to share the Designers actions closing out the Program . Bill had the Group working overtime for weeks . When it came to the paint finish problems occurred matching the exact color of this Mounted Fish . Perfection is what MR Mitchell demanded .  Bill left one late night in disgust . His orders were ;"no one goes home until the paint is an exact match ." In a stroke of Genius , they dismounted the Fish . Re-painted it with the next mixed batch of paint for the project car  . If Bill ever knew , he did not let on . He was happy with the results . Keeping in mind a Taxidermist does Paint the Mountings , IMHO , this was the correct solution of the problem .    Thanx ..