Model Cars Magazine Forum

Was a 250 Chevy six ever in a kit

Some additions; The actual split is '55, the '54 is identical to the '53 full pressure block used with Powerglide equipped  cars other than the rocker cover. The '55-'62 block, other than a handful of Corvettes built in early '55 and the '55 1rst Series trucks, is completely different from the '54 and earlier blocks.

http://pugetsoundvintagechevrolet.org/Programs/6 cylinder engines with photos.pdf

I disagree. The flanged valve cover came into play in 54...do a Google search and you'll see.

I disagree. The flanged valve cover came into play in 54...do a Google search and you'll see.

No search needed, I'm very familiar with these engines. My point was more that the only real difference between a '53 full pressure and a '54 is the rocker cover. They are identical otherwise. The '55, however, is different enough if many other ways to truly be considered a "new" engine. The main difference, which required a new block casting, is the water pump, which mounts lower on the block than the earlier engines. The link I posted shows the differences in the block castings.

So, what year did they move the distributor from the middle to the front of the engine?

1962, when the all new 7 main bearing 6 cylinder came out. That engine, along with the larger 230 version and the 4 cylinder based on the same design, was only available in the Chevy II/Nova. It became the standard engine in all other Chevrolets (except Corvair and some models of Chevrolet Truck) in 1963. It shares virtually no parts with the earlier engine.

in the 1962 chevy II, a new 194 thrift 6 (I think) was released as an upgrade to the base 4 cyl. 63 brought about the 230, and the 250 followed (don't recall the year, would have to go to ref material). Biggest giveaway on early (216.5, 235) and late (194, 230, 250, and 292) is as simple as rounded old and squared new. Then there's lots of detail ways, but let's save that for the old GMC inline sixes, (OK, not 261, the 270 and 303 to name a couple) versus Chevy early 6.MCW resin says the eng-01 kit is for the early chevy II bodies being cast. 

Edited by aero_eagle

Bill, what would be the best engine to use for '73 and up trucks? You've seen my modifications to the AMT '60 C10 engine for a '69 Blazer and I have another one planned for a '76 C10. If the MCW resin engine would be the better starting point I'll get a couple of those.

The AMT Nova engine has a whopper of an axle hole, and is extremely simplified.  The '62 hardtop/convertible engine (stock version) is made up of seven parts: block/transmission halves, pulleys/generator, fan, exhaust pipe, valve cover/carburetor, and air cleaner.  Intake and exhaust manifolds, and oil pan, are molded as part of the block.  The '63 wagon used the same engine but with a couple more parts (intake and exhaust parts were molded separately) but the big axle hole is still there.  

• 3 weeks later...

I have an unbuilt AMT '64 El Camino, which has a 230 6 in it. I may look into having it cast in resin for a van and a pick up project. I am not too crazy about the hole in the block, but it may work.

Have you looked at the Chevy 6 that is offered by Replicas and Miniatures Co. of MD? I had one, and it looked very nice.

• 3 months later...

Found it in Resin, actually both the Stovebolt and the 194-250

http://earlyyearsresin.webs.com/

I only see 2 GM 6 cylinders listed, neither are the 194-250. #GM6 is definitely 216, looks to be a combination of the AMT '37 Chevy engine with parts from the Galaxy Chevys. #CI6 is a 235/261 from the AMT '60 Chevy pickup with the intake from the Galaxy kits and the Fenton headers from the AMT '51 Chevy Fleetline.

You're right... looking close it's the old stovebolt in both... silly actually as there's not a lot of difference from the 216 to the 235/261, certainly close enough that a skilled builder could make either represent the other.

I don't know that you couldn't make a 230/250 or of either as well, only someone who really knew the engines could tell the difference with a different valve cover and a few relocations of accessories.

With the earlier 6, someone armed with knowledge of the engines to what the differences were could pull it off. With the later engines, you would almost be better off 100% scratchbuilding it rather than convert the older 6, way too many major changes in the block, including noticeable dimensional differences.