Model Cars Magazine Forum

B.R.B.O Revell Alaska Pete tridem dump july update I'm out

Gator: I wish I had some pics,but this was back in the 80's. I never thought to carry a camera. I just heard about the guys doing that. I worked for a paving company and in the summer we rented their trucks when we needed them.

Jeff,

No problem . I know back in the day when I was running equipment.I didn't carry a camera either.Besides film and the developing cost too much!

I will figure something out. no worries .

Be Well

Gator

Edited by gatorincebu

• 2 weeks later...

There's really only one way to do the removable body, your gonna need some sort of sub frame, like my truck I'm sittin in right now. Make the dump body it's own unit, that sits on top of the frame rails. It doesn't need to be tall. The sub frame on my truck is 4x4 square tubing, then has a mounting plate at the rear of the frame rails. The ram, hinges and what not are on the sub frame. We can remove and install these bodies in a couple hours. I'll get some pics when I get to the hotel later today.

I like this project but I hope your going to use the headache rack or make one.  It makes me nervous thinking about that loader or shovel operator being more attentive to the Twinkie he is eating then where the load is getting dumped in.

What would be cool - exhaust heated bed....

Edited by Old Buckaroo

Looking real nice, Gator.....I like this idea a lot....Big fan of the stretch, you know......Great job on that dump body......This will be awesome when it's completed.....

I might suggest you snag some of those Moebius wheels and tire setups......They may provide a pretty nice alternative to the kit pieces.....

Looking awesome.....

Thanks to all of you that stopped by to check out this thread. Granted right now there is not much to look at. I will get back to work on this sometime in mid Feb.

Clayton , That is exactly what I had in mind. A subframe to attach to the truck frame.

Sean, Like you I don't really like a dump body that doesn't have the headache rack ! And I used to be the one running the loader. Never dropped anything on the cab though. :-))

Darren, No murals on this truck . No real place to put them with no sleeper.

JT, Yes I know how you like the stretch! And the Moebius wheel and tire set. I have three sets but they are for other projects yet to be conceived ! Lol

Alain, Thank you for your interest in this project . I hope to use a few ideas and things I have learned from watching your builds.

Be Well

Gator

Gator, Im glad to hear your not using the sleeper. For some reason I thought you were. This build is one that Im anticipating the most. Do you have any plans for wheels? This rig would look great with some aggressive off-highway rubber (resin). Did this kit have the twin turbo Cummins? 

Terry, Thanks for your interest in this build.

No sleeper on this one. But a bit more than the regular gap between the dump body and cab. For wheels and tires.

I am going for the heavy six spoke and heavy duty tires from Dave. I am also working on a couple of other mods to different things.

Be Well

Gator

• 4 weeks later...

Greetings Everyone,

Not much happening with this project right now. Working on drawing up the plans for the  automatic tailgate and tarp systems. As well as the framework for the dump bed and how it will attach to the truck chassis.

Be Well

Gator

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing to report so far this month. just not feelingit right now.

I like your idea and plan I can't wait to see what you do with the tarp and tailgate

Rich

Rich,

Thanks for your interest and support. i hope to come up with a working drawing sometime soon.

Be Well

Gator

Thanks for the support Rob . i am hoping to get in the mood again real soon.

Be Well

Gator

We all go through a little modelling slump occasionally Gator.

When you get the urge to start you'll just fly along with this project.

I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with this.

Rob

I had stopped building about 13 years ago, because of other interest for one, but I had made model building too tedious and not enjoyable. If I'm not enjoying building (or not in the mood) I don't build. Gator I'm sure this build will be great, but most of all enjoy the build. When the mood hits you, there will probably be no stopping you.  I'm looking forward to seeing more of this build.

Yep, Gator you don't have to do anymore what you don't want to do.  I like reading what you post.  You are a great contributor here.  You don't have to build, but good that you can build if you want to.

Now,  if you don't feel like posting anymore, that's a different story.  Won't happen though.  Do as you feel like doing.  We'll be here and enjoy what you're doing.

• 2 weeks later...

Michal, Gino , Jesus ,

Thanks for your interest and support .

Going with a a couple of mock up pics. And I need to make a choice on the wheels and tires. And I want your opinions. 

Resin wheels and tires  front floats from Rick Mark

photo DSCN31391_zpshwzrig50.jpg

The front floats on steel rims .I like this set because they are tough and rugged looking . What do you think ?

I am also going to convert this into a shop made steel hood with open sides.  Ideas  anyone??

photo DSCN31401_zpskzkcfl2u.jpg

Here are the wheels and tires from Italeri , regular wheel in the front. I like these wheels because of the large planetary hubs.

Again. What do you all think?

photo DSCN31411_zpslfg9ryqu.jpg

photo DSCN31421_zpsj2ajdik8.jpg

Be Well

Gator