Model Cars Magazine Forum

IPMS Contest question

AaronPerkins

I was reading the 2013 handbook in the out of the box section. Am I understanding it correctly that out of the box means no modifications at all and not just adding aftermarket parts? For example I'm understanding it as I can't even drill put my exhaust and add black wash. 

• 4 weeks later...

I'm not an IPMS rules expert but I have some info and hopefully someone in the know will chime in...

But no Aaron, that's not the case at all. I'm not sure of all the do's and don'ts but I know for a fact you can drill out the exhaust and use black wash. I found out recently from an airplane builder, they do things differently for the different types of models you build, for example, on a WW II airplane, if the box art illustrates an antenna, with a wire going back to the tail... you can add it, if it's not in the box art, you can not... even if the real airplane has it.

the IPMS shows I have competed in with "out of the box" you can not use any parts that are not offered in the kit including after market parts. (by the way. you must have the instructions included under the model to compete) No wiring or pluming. No opening of doors, trunks. No body mods... chopping etc... however, you can cut open that hood if it's an option with the kit for that supercharger. You can do bodywork to fix flaws in the plastic. Now you can do all kinds of paint, I believe you can use decals that are not included in the kit... but I could be wrong on that one. also, and I could be wrong on this as well, I think they will let you use flocking. It would be nice to get some better clarification on the actual limits.

Jefbo, you have it right.

At least for cars, OOB means you use only the parts in the box in a manner consistent with the instructions. If the instructions call for you to make a cut-out for a supercharger, or hood scoop, you can make those. You are free to use whatever paint, decals, and foil you want. That would include washes. We would accept flocking or embossing powder as a finishing technique. Filler is OK to the extent that it corrects molding defects.

If you are going to enter a model in OOB, please keep the instruction sheet, and put it under the model. We need to see them so it will be eligible. I hate it when we have to disqualify a nicely done OOB build because of no instructions.

Disclaimer: I can only speak to the model car judging at Model Expo in June.

Aaron,

Jefbo and Dave relate it well.  But, a caution:  Each IPMS Chapter may have and employ its own interpretation of those rules at any given Chapter-operated event.  

I've found the safest approach is to research the specific rules of the specific Chapter you are most likely to participate with; then research the IPMS international rules that would be applied at a regional or international event; then build your models to the strictest standard.  That will ensure your models will be eligible at the strictest event and there won't be any problem at a less stringent event.  

Likewise, any non-IPMS contest you might want to enter may have rules that differ from IPMS.  You should check with them for their rules and adhere to the toughest standards you may encounter.  

Follow those steps and there will be no surprises.

And, I echo Dave:  It's sad to disqualify nice models because the simplest rule was not followed - the instructions must accompany the model on the table.