Model Cars Magazine Forum

Clutchflite Transmission-Look 4

I've never seen one,  but then again I've never looked for one. You could just cut the Bell housing off a 727 and put a clutch hell housing  (scatter shield) on there. Ken

Agreed, I dont remember ever seeing one in kit or resin form

I use to have one and it was just a 727 with the bellhousing removed and a scattershield in its place

Edited by gtx6970

True, it is an odd duck of 60ties-70ties racing history. The Motown Missile Dodge Challenger used this setup and at Gainesville 1970, almost beat Ronnie Sox in the Pro stock final. Don Carlton was driving and he accidentally left the shifter in 2nd on the start, had he started in 1st as normal there was a good chance he'd of won that race, as the Missile was running as well as Sox's 'Cuda. http://www.moparchat.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107737

You could also run one on the street, but with today's converter technology, i.e. trans-brakes, the ClutchFlite ended up being obsolete. However I was wondering if it had been kitted in any of the Pro-Stock kits representing that era of drag car.

Edited by 69NovaYenko

From what I remember years ago talking to a guy who used to run one in a Hemi powered Duster  , the clutch flites wern't known to survive long .

I think it was due to the insane internal rpms the trans made with it,,,,, as well as the initial shock load when the clutch was released was known to destroy the rear sprag,

Yep..in a on-line research article I found "What Is A Clutchflite Transmission" one person stated  "They are also known as "Clutch Bombs" as they blow up with amazing force and destruction. Dumping the clutch is as destructive as neutral dropping your trans at high rpm.http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=15170.0

Hence, the reason for the scatter shield being part of the modification. However, in the late 60ties and thru 70ties both street and strip racers were using them. In addition to the Mopar 727 tans there was an identical modification for the G.M. TH-400 tranny.

Edited by 69NovaYenko