Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell-Mercedes

The more I look at it, the more I'm thinking... YES, PLEASE!

And yes, a proper SSK would be nice, too.

As for the Jo-Han 500K's, I have the Special Roadster unbuilt and it does seem like a nice kit indeed ;)

That and the Johan 500K Spezial Roadster Limousin (hardtop) are among the best classic kits made in 1/24-25.

Edited by sjordan2

That and the Johan 500K Spezial Roadster Limousin (hardtop) are among the best classic kits made in 1/24-25.

From what I can tell, these Mercedes kits are indeed much more detailed than most Jo-Hans, they seem like "proper" model kits, not promo/annual based kits, so how come they are generally much cheaper and less sought after than Jo-Han's American cars?

From what I can tell, these Mercedes kits are indeed much more detailed than most Jo-Hans, they seem like "proper" model kits, not promo/annual based kits, so how come they are generally much cheaper and less sought after than Jo-Han's American cars?

They're probably some of the best car kits ever made in that scale.   THe Monogram 540K is pretty nice, but the Jo-Han 500K makes it look like a toy.   

Lower demand?  I'm okay with this.  It meant I got to grab some early issues of their Cadillac V-16s, still in the wrapper, and popped out of practically virgin moulds, for less than the price of a new kit, even with shipping.  The people who do appreciate them can still get them for a reasonable price.

Sadly, it's probably because the U.S. market for '20s and '30s classic kits dried up (or went the Franklin/Danbury route). Otherwise we would have had a full-detail Auburn Speedster or Pierce Arrow or Cord L29 by now. In the meantime bidders fight tooth and nail over a '62 Olds 88 on eBay.

Edited by ChrisBcritter

I got mine as a second hand kit at an otherwise fairly pricey hobby shop for just over 5 bucks... It's unstarted and complete save for one door handle, but I'll deal with that somehow when I get to that stage I guess...

I will point out that the original Gold Cup boxings of these kits are superior to the reissues with the white borders on the box; the later ones can have more flash and uneven chrome coverage.

I will point out that the original Gold Cup boxings of these kits are superior to the reissues with the white borders on the box; the later ones can have more flash and uneven chrome coverage.

Mine is definitely the later release, with the  white border box, and yes, there seems to be some tricky flash to deal with and  the chrome looks a bit "dull", but I'll end up replacing it with Alclad anyway so it's not a major issue as far as I'm concerned :)

• 11 months later...

Proud owner of four 1:1 MBs, this is my list :

-Just repop the C126

-W126 300-560SEL (LWB)

-W123 Sedan-Coupe-Wagon (could mix OM617 and M110 engines, why not a TURBODIESEL wagon ?)

-W116 450SEL 6.9

-W107s (at least a R107 500SL Roadster)

-W124 Convertible

-T2 Van 

-TN Van

-Maybach 62S

-W100 600 Pullman

With all of the ongoing licensing issues between Revell and Ferrari, I'm glad to se that RoG seems to be maintaining good relations with Mercedes. The SLS kit they released a few years back was a turning point in their approach to kit engineering (in my opinion anyway), and I'm now really looking forward to the AMG GT announced for later this year... However, it would be nice to see them release some classic Mercedes cars that were never kitted before, such as the SL Pagode or the legendary AMG 300 SEL race car known as the "Red Pig"...

Which Mercedes cars would you like to see kitted, by Revell or otherwise?

AM052011_6856_gallerieBild_5.jpg

This is the one for me.