Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kits with New York Licence Plate Decals Included?

As a 'New Yawker' I kinda like the idea of using local plates on my builds - I know I could print my own but I really like the quality of decals versus trying to print my own - so anyone know any kits that include them on the decal sheets? 

Any leads would be much appreciated guys!

If your looking just for NY plates, you should take a look at Best Model Car Parts.  I've ordered from them a couple of times and I'm very happy with the quality of their work.

I agree!

You can buy all of the New York plates you can handle right off of ebay for $2.49 for a sheet of 5 sets of plates.

Best Model Car Parts makes tons of exceptionally nice plates, whether you want modern or vintage.

& shipping is free. :)

Steve

Best Model Car Parts is a great source.

If I want something else, or something special, I go to www.licenseplates.tv, and then pick the plates I want. You can create your own plates, and then copy and paste into a graphic program and print it on an index card. Just be sure to set the printer to "photo."

Assuming you're using standard size plates, resize them to 0.46875" wide by 0.24" high.

I use the drawing program in Open Office to do this; you can probably get it to work in Microsoft Paint, too. 

Charlie Larkin

Best Model Car Parts is a great source.

If I want something else, or something special, I go to www.licenseplates.tv, and then pick the plates I want. You can create your own plates, and then copy and paste into a graphic program and print it on an index card. Just be sure to set the printer to "photo."

Assuming you're using standard size plates, resize them to 0.46875" wide by 0.24" high.

I use the drawing program in Open Office to do this; you can probably get it to work in Microsoft Paint, too. 

Charlie Larkin

Good choice on this!

Another similar choice would be to go to your local DMV website and find the "license plate maker" they most often have there. Pick your plate with graphics on it, add your personal text, preview the results, then capture the pic and resize it to fit to scale. Great for current or new plates or even local colleges and university pride plates as well!

A personal plate for a model of a friend's car from VCU (Virginia Commonwealth University)...

MR2 15_zpshyja9hpy.jpg

Edited by Drake69

Use a photo quality glossy paper and double the dots per inch (DPI) and if you have some sort of photo editing program do a "quick fix" or an "instant fix" on the pictures and it brings some quality back up on them as well before you print them. I love printing my own plates.

Another source for DIY plates is

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/ 

My preferred site!  I save the image of the plate to my hard drive.  Then I take it to scale in Microsoft Word.  I bring the photo into the program, then scale it to 23%. That will fit into the Model Car Garage license plate frames. I print on 60-110 lb paper stock.   Any plate you could dream up in minutes!

My preferred site!  I save the image of the plate to my hard drive.  Then I take it to scale in Microsoft Word.  I bring the photo into the program, then scale it to 23%. That will fit into the Model Car Garage license plate frames. I print on 60-110 lb paper stock.   Any plate you could dream up in minutes!

I bring the image into MS Paint (if you have Windows, you have Paint). There is an image re-size function that allow the user to enter a percentage for enlarging or reducing the image.