Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford guys: More accurate chassis for AMT '68 Shelby?

Admittedly, as chassis go, AMT's isn't horrendous, but I was wondering if the Revell '69 Shelby chassis would be a slight upgrade, assuming that Ford/Shelby used the same one for both years. If it is an acceptable substitute, how much reshaping will it take to fit under the '68 body (wheelbase, width etc)? 

Any pics of this completed swap would also be appreciated.  

Yeah I feel your pain.
For some reason the AMT Cougar kits tended to have more accurate chassis and engine compartment fender wells.  But the '67-'68 Cougar kits are quite rare.
Even if you had one... the wheelbase is longer than the Mustang.

For my '68 Shelby kit on the shelf I put Revell's 1/25th '69 Super CJ body and chassis in the box for the future project. Haven't done any cutting yet but the chassis is much closer than what the vintage AMT molds show.

Historic Racing Miniatures based his '68 Shelby trans-kit on AMT's '67 Shelby chassis.

The AMT 67 Mustang/Shelby would be a perfect donor for this. They were practically the same car.

If you look at the AMT '67 Mustang box art that uses a built kit instead of a 1:1 car, it shows one of the issues I have with the '68 Shelby - even as a factory stock build, the front tires extend out past the fenders.  Overall, the new-ish '67 Mustang/Shelby kits are probably well-designed in most respects, but the wider front track gives it a toyish look IMNSHO.  

Edited by Monty

If you look at the AMT '67 Mustang box art that uses a built kit instead of a 1:1 car, it shows one of the issues I have with the '68 Shelby - even as a factory stock build, the front tires extend out past the fenders.  Overall, the new-ish '67 Mustang/Shelby kits are probably well-designed in most respects, but the wider front track gives it a toyish look IMNSHO.  

'68 Shelby kits issued after 1975 or so (starting with the Lesney/AMT "Snakebite" boxing) use wider tires than earlier issues of the kit.  With narrower tires (and wheels narrowed on the back side to match) the finished build should look a lot better.