Model Cars Magazine Forum

custom decals, printer ideas?

DrewCfromSC

hello all, been a while since ive been here. I build mostly and slowly 1980s dirt late model cars. Been wanting to try making mmy own decals as well as scanning some NASCAR kit decals to make some custom decals. What is the scanner, printer that your using? Looking to keep my cost under $150 new or used is fine. Any recommendations? Have clear and white waterslide paper already.

Thank you for your help.

Drew

101_6602.JPG

I just use an HP all in one inkjet. Works great for everything. Obviously anything like white text is going to be difficult but one way to get close would be to create a background as close to the color of the surface you're decaling and the white text would be the negative space. 

What kit/conversion is that Camaro?

Edited by Toast

I have a Canon all in one unit that I use for scanning and printing.   Inkjet printer images are fairly opaque, so the good news is that your pictured vehicles are white.  I would use the clear decal paper to create decals for these.  As mentioned, you cannot print white, chrome silver etc.  Stick to basic colors for your first attempts.  

Set up your decals to print several to many of the same images.  Ink jet printing of decals isn't an exact science, so you want several to choose from and be able to pick out the best ones to use. You may even damage a set while placing them on your model, so it's good to have several copies.  Once printed you need to seal the decals.  I've used the Testors brand decal fixative with good results.  Spray very light coats or the decal ink will run.  It's good to do several light coats.  

When you go to use the decals, note that the entire sheet is one continuous decal so you will need to cut the edges of your decal close and carefully.

Well, I've been using an old color laser jet, some clear water slide decal sheets and Google Images to find what I need.

There are a few free Photoshop equivalents to help you out.  You can also use LibreOffice or Word to do it as well.

PS The brand of scanner/printer is largely unimportant here.  Just scan as PNG to preserve the alpha channel and 300 DPI or greater.  You'll also need to bring it into a pic program to remove the blue-ish background present in decals.  GIMP is fine as a freebie.  Photoshop is the best though. 

Edited by aurfalien

Hi,

To add, I'd suggest using an inkjet with inkjet waterslide clear decal paper.  There is a huge diff between the 2 varieties of waterslide decal paper being ink vs laser.

I was using laserjet which seemed fine but when it came to tire lettering, the color was not heavy enough and got lost in the black.

Because inket deposits ink, tire lettering should come noticeable.

Edited by aurfalien

http://www.pulsarprofx.com/

Hi Drew,

Here is something you might consider having.  There are a lot of steps though.  You can turn an image into a waterslide decal.  They sell another kit that is capable of making photo etch parts too.  Kits are reasonably priced with your  money back if you don't like it.  Be sure to check out the humor page.  There is some great stuff there.

Edited by Greg Wann