Model Cars Magazine Forum

Does Anyone Remember 1966 1/8 Vette/Jaguar

I am dating myself here, but then I am 67 years old.  I remember a custom build from one of the '65-'66 model magazines, maybe Rod & Custom Cars & Models or the other one (can't remember the name, I am old) that used a 1/8 scale Corvette and a 1/8 scale Jaguar E-type.  They molded the Jag headlights into the fenders of the Vette and there were several other body mods.  If I remember correctly it sort of resembled a Daytona Cobra when finished.  Just by chance does anyone else remember this build and  have pictures, plans, or the magazine articles about this build?  I believe it covered three or four issues, maybe more. It has always been in the back of my mind to try to attempt this build, except in 1/25 scale, it would have to be a whole lot cheaper.

Edited by TarheelRick

Dennis Doty combined a 1/8 scale E type and '65 Corvette in Model Car Science magazine.  It was a multi part project that included a soldered brass chassis.  I can't get to my copies right now, so I can't tell you what issues had the installments.  I do remember that it was on the cover when finished.

That sounds like it may be the one I am thinking about.  I do not specifically remember the brass chassis, all I can almost vividly remember is the work on the headlights and nose section.  If you can find them and it isn't too much trouble, could you possibly scan the articles and send them to me by email.  Good to know there is someone else who remembers this build.

Rod & Custom did it in 1/24-25 scale in '65. I will look it up when I get home,

maybe even post a pic of what's left of mine from back then.

If someone did it in Model Car Science I would like to know what issues also.

Edited by Thom
add more info

Don't remember any such in MCS, but CM was doing a 1/8 scale stretched Jag funny car using two bodies. I forget what engine, maybe a blown SBC from the Big Drag? I think they were soldering up the frame from brass tubing. I don't think they did more than two or maybe three installments before somebody lost interest and it disappeared--pretty sure it never got finished.