Model Cars Magazine Forum

Man, oh man... I miss Danbury Mint!

Harry P.

Danbury models, especially the later ones, were state of the art and quite impressive. And, for me, a tad depressing. I'd check one out and think "Jeez... some little old lady in China built this, at work, and it looks ten times better and has about twenty times the detail of anything I've ever been able to manage." :lol:

• 4 months later...

For the record, this thread has cost me a good bit of money.

It's only money so enjoy life while you can. Sure it was great while Danbury and Franklin MInts were in business, but life goes on. I have my die-cast collection in a curio cabinet and enjoy having them. Occasionally one can find these die-casts at swap meets as I just saw a bunch for sale last month, but I wasn't in the mood to purchase any.

• 1 month later...

I only started collecting Danbury (and Franklin) Mint cars about a year ago. I have about 40 in my collection now. I really enjoy photographing them because they can look so real! There are a few photos on my Flickr page if anyone is interested: LINK

29743876694_f0edec19a2_k.jpg1942 Chrysler Town and Country by Kenneth Hendricks, on Flickr

Edited by Ken H

I only started collecting Danbury (and Franklin) Mint cars about a year ago. I have about 40 in my collection now. I really enjoy photographing them because they can look so real! There are a few photos on my Flickr page if anyone is interested: LINK

29743876694_f0edec19a2_k.jpg1942 Chrysler Town and Country by Kenneth Hendricks, on Flickr

40 Danbury and Franklin Mint models is a good sized collection, especially for only being in it for about a year.

40 Danbury and Franklin Mint models is a good sized collection, especially for only being in it for about a year.

Collection/addiction, who's keeping score? Actually I don't even want to think about the money I've spent. They are "collectibles" because the Mints marketed them that way. Some of my models go for less than original retail but some of the "Limited Edition" ones go for much more money. I know some collectors like to keep them in the boxes and never touch them. That's not me. I like to keep them out where I can see them. They get the dust blown off when they get called up for a photo shoot!

Collection/addiction, who's keeping score? Actually I don't even want to think about the money I've spent. They are "collectibles" because the Mints marketed them that way. Some of my models go for less than original retail but some of the "Limited Edition" ones go for much more money. I know some collectors like to keep them in the boxes and never touch them. That's not me. I like to keep them out where I can see them. They get the dust blown off when they get called up for a photo shoot!

How can anyone enjoy Frankin and Danbury Mint cars in boxes??? I keep mine on display in a 6' tall curio cabinet with lights and mirrored backwall. The original boxes are stored in the garage in case I need to ever move, sell, or trade them.

How can anyone enjoy Frankin and Danbury Mint cars in boxes??? I keep mine on display in a 6' tall curio cabinet with lights and mirrored backwall. The original boxes are stored in the garage in case I need to ever move, sell, or trade them.

Agreed. They are meant to be looked at and they are indeed quite wonderful to look at!