Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Z'd Frame

Guest roadkill2525

I believe it done to lower the floor closer to the ground by keeping the axel at the same position and lowering the mdiile section.

here's my example done on Paint.

Zdframediagram.jpg

I believe it done to lower the floor closer to the ground by keeping the axel at the same position and lowering the mdiile section.

here's my example done on Paint.

Zdframediagram.jpg

Thanks for the example, now any idea how its done?

I have a good tutorial on this subject, but I'm about three hours until I can get to post it. I'm at work and I have an errand to run after work. I'll check back and if no one else posts by then, I'll show you how I've done them.

Z ing the frame will lower or raise the body vs suspension.....done by "lifting" the rails ..See example:

IMG_0446.jpg

IMG_0442.jpg

This frame was Z'd front and back....in the front to lower and in the rear to move the position of the axle

I have since changed the rear member to a quickchange

This shot shows the front Z

IMG_0531.jpg

Of course you have to pick a car with a frame to begin with, but you knew that already... :rolleyes:

Really though, there are a few frames that you can't use easily but with this hobby, just about anything is possible. I used an AMT frame from the phaeton or vicky, Kenny cut up a Lindberg frame and Jairus did it to a Revell frame. You have lots of possibilities so just ask about a particular kit before you buy it if you aren't sure.

Of course you have to pick a car with a frame to begin with, but you knew that already... :rolleyes:

Really though, there are a few frames that you can't use easily but with this hobby, just about anything is possible. I used an AMT frame from the phaeton or vicky, Kenny cut up a Lindberg frame and Jairus did it to a Revell frame. You have lots of possibilities so just ask about a particular kit before you buy it if you aren't sure.

Hey now I do have a loaded pistol strapped to my leg :D No really I do. No kidding.

Anyway I was meaning like a 1970 mustang or something like that, can it be done to these type of kits? Or just the roadsters, I guess thay are called.

Hey now I do have a loaded pistol strapped to my leg :D No really I do. No kidding.

Anyway I was meaning like a 1970 mustang or something like that, can it be done to these type of kits? Or just the roadsters, I guess thay are called.

the 70 stang would be poor choice to do this with becasue its a uniabody car. if the car doesn't have a frame its gonna be kinda hard to z it :rolleyes:

the 70 stang would be poor choice to do this with becasue its a uniabody car. if the car doesn't have a frame its gonna be kinda hard to z it B)

So it would be better to use a kit where the frame is separate from the body?