Model Cars Magazine Forum

Crisp pinstripe lines.

Looking for actual experience advise.

I am not new to crisp bleed free tape lines. I am how ever very very new to using the new to me narrow .4mm masking tape and pin stripping a multi lay/colour paint job. 

Heres's my question.

When doing a multi layer/colour job where the pinstripe mask will be down for most of the coats how do you stop the edge from building up so much that when it is wet sanded the edges break and you loose that crisp line.

This is my first crack at a multi colour/layer paint job and as you can see the black pin strip is not all that crisp.

I understand these pics bring out the flaws but I did that so I can show what I am asking about.

My limited experience says I should be wet sanding between every coat, and the coats need to be very light,  am I correct? If so what grit should I use? 

I really want to learn how to do this correctly. 

Thanks for the help.

image.png

image.jpeg

One of the best ideas I ever read about was someone that posted here many years ago and laid down some beautiful multi color work always laid down a coat of clear and then moved on to the next color. I don't know if that will cure what your experiencing but his paint work was the best. HTH

What I see in your close up pic is the edges of color are breaking down into your pinstripe. Leaving the tape on to long is the problem. Remove the pinstriping tape after you get the first color down then back mask over the stripe AND the first color.

This will eliminate the buildup of paint and also allow you to remove the tape in a timely manner so you don't get sharp edges from the covering colors drying to long.

Also, wet  sanding between coats with 600 or 800 grit will knock the edges down to eliminate the build up. And, like you said light coat,s with just enough paint to cover, will keep build up to a minimum.

Mark

Something I tried that worked well. Lightly airbrush your pinstripe color first,  spraying only where your stripe will be. Then layout your pinstripe tape. Fog your tape with clear to seal the edge. Then mask one side of the pinstripe and spray lets say your blue. Then pull the masking tape off leaving your pinstripe tape intact. Then mask off the blue and spray the orange. In the end your pinstripe tape has only ever had one color sprayed against each side. Each time mask to the center of the pinstripe tape. If you are brave and have a steady hand, you can put masking paper over the pinstripe tape and cut directly on it to simplify masking.

Thanks Mike, that is what I did, less the separate blue masking. I will definately try the suggestions you guys have put up here and work towards a method that works for my style.

I use a mix of latex and tape when building.

Thanks guys for input on this. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Rider

Nice job on the paint Mike. One other thing I will suggest is to pick up some Scotch (3M) Fine Line Masking Tape:

http://3mcollision.com/products/tapes/masking-tapes/scotch-performance-masking-tape-233-26343-3mm.html

This tape is formulated to work with automotive paint. I use the 1/8th inch to outline flame jobs on 1:1 cars. And I will lay it out on a piece of glass to cut it narrower for model car stuff. Make sure the glass is clean so the tape doesn't pick stuff up. just tap the tape in place as straight as you can and cut with a steel ruler and sharp hobby knife.

Mark

Edited by astroracer