Model Cars Magazine Forum

Spray can acrylics-which ones if any safe for non flammable only spray booths?

I have unwittingly gotten my wife's ex back into modeling. He probably hasn't built a model in 40 years or more. He lives in an extended stay hotel, so his options are very limited.

He is wanting to spray the bodies and maybe other parts. Going outside isn't really an option for him for physical reasons.

So I thought of acrylic paints. Problem is I don't know of any that are water based in a spray can. Are there any? He would be getting a booth like I have which is definitely NOT for flammable materials. The only way he could do an airbrush would be to use the canned propellants, which would get expensive fast. And I am not sure if he would follow thru on keeping them clean. Let's just say he has a history of not doing that.

Right now he is saying he just won't paint the bodies, but I think he will lose interest after a couple if he can't. He also asked me about brush painting the bodies. I told him it's not really a good idea. I know a few people can do that and make them beautiful, but this guy isn't one of those.

Buying a real spray booth is not totally out of the question, but I think if I told him the pricing he would just give up instead.

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks,

Russ

Well, so much for that idea. I guess I wasn't thinking this all the way through. Asked about the paints from the website  above and got this response.

"Hi Russ,

The water base paint itself isn't flammable, however the propellant is. Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Howard"

Guess I will tell the wife's ex to either buy an expensive booth or just deal with having to go outside. Or try spraying indoors and hope he doesn't cause problems.

Russ

In my opinion, there's not really a need to buy an "expensive" booth if you're a little handy...I just finished building one. I used a Dayton blower fan and installed it on top of the booth, which is made out of plywood, a furnace filter and lined with packaging paper (quick, easy and cheap cleanup when needed), then plumbed it out a window in my basement using dryer vent ducting. While not technically rated "explosion proof," the fan is out of the way of the main blast from the paint, and the motor is separated from the fan, so I figure it's about as "explosion proof" as you can get without actually get a said rated fan. All in, I've got $119 into the fan, about $40 into other materials, and some of my time. I also have heard from many, many people who have used the cheap, sub-$100 portable booths with any kind of paint they want for years without issue...if you're careful and deliberate (start the fan a bit before you start painting, don't let too much fumes build up at a time, etc), they're still pretty dang safe. The "exploding paint booths" you sometimes hear about are almost an anomaly...sure, it happens, there are horror stories, but it's rare, and in many of those cases most likely the user did something stupid/wrong.

I wouldn't be building one for this guy. And he certainly can't do it himself. And being careful and deliberate is not a given with him either. I'm not going to be the one to tell him it is ok to use flammable stuff in a non flammable booth. He can afford a real spray booth if he decides to go that route. I'm not too sure he is going to stick with this anyway. I'm just trying to find ways for him to decide if he wants to really do this before spending a ton of cash.

Thanks,

Russ

Edited by russosborne