Model Cars Magazine Forum

Class of 1957, a double build.

Lovefordgalaxie

I was in a dilemma. Really wanted to build another 1957 Ford, but also really wanted to build a 1957 Chevrolet Cameo.

Couldn't decide, so... Yes, I'm building both. At the same time.

The Ford is going to be a Fairlane 500 Club Victoria, painted in Inca Gold and Colonial white. 

The Cameo is going to be Onyx Black and Ivory. Both 100% factory stock, of course.

The build itself started three weeks ago, with the usual bodywork to eliminate mold lines and defects like sink marks. That took three days, as I built the Chevy pick up box to paint it as a unit, and added some detail to the '57 Ford body. Those details were all inscribed body parts separation lines, like on the headlight doors, and front fenders. 

Just after that, I painted the white on both models, and let them sit about two and a half weeks, due to work issues.

That ended being good, as I could mask the white without any worries about the tape to leave texture on the paint, as I had happened before with newly painted white bodies.

By the way, the white is Tamiya TS-26 Pure white, that is a close match to Ford Colonial White, and even closer to GM Ivory.

The Inca Gold on the Fairlane, and the Onyx Black on the Cameo are automotive synthetic enamel, so, both cars have lacquer and enamel paint, and believe-me, thei are not fighting to see who shines the best:lol:

The day before yesterday, I painted the Inca Gold on the Ford, and yesterday I painted the Black on the Chevy. 

The Ford was dry enough to pull the tape this morning, and the Chevy is going on the same path. I just don't want to risk unmasking the inside of the bed just yet, as I'll have to put some force on the fresh black paint. Better wait till tomorrow...

Here are some pics of where I am right now:

Class of 1957 WIP by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

Thanks guys.

My favorite color to paint any car is black, but that can get a little boring. I have four black 1957 Fords already. 

I'm sanding the seams on the engine, front seat, and closing some sink marks, like the ones on the lower part of the Ford splash pan. Also doing the same on the Chevy engine and rear end.

Hope to have more parts painted during the week. 

Ok, some more slow progress.

Polished the Chevrolet Cameo body, and installed the tailgate:

Class of 1957 WIP. by Túlio Lazzaroni, on Flickr

The polishing also revealed the "CAMEO" badge, that was foiled prior to painting. 

Also started painting the Fairlane interior. The seats are now the basic color: Colonial white. The interior will be white and black, what I think to be the coolest factory available combo for the colors I used on the body.

No more seam on the side of the seats. On the Ford this is important, as the doors do open.

The chassis / floor pan is in primer. I'll shoot Ford red oxide primer on it, and then do the overspray with Inca Gold. The actual frame will be brush painted, as it is molded onto the floor pan.

Here are the engines in primer. Found a defect on the clutch cover of the Ford 312, so I'll have to fix that.

The Ford rear axle, seam free and ready for the black paint.

Finally, the Chevy Cameo frame was assembled up to the maximum possible before painting, as this will make the glue joints on the leaf springs, tie rods, and rear end extra strong, and will require no touch up, like if I would add those parts after the frame had being painted.

Thanks for the comments guys. Really appreciated.

Here are a few more progress pictures:

The Cameo engine painted basic color:

The Ford 312 painted the basic color:

The Chevy Cameo frame painted Tamiya semigloss black.

Little test fit:

Ok guys, finished the basic painting on the interior of both models. Still have all detail paint to do, not to mention the foil work.

The Fairlane engine bay already has the semi gloss black painted.

Nice video , Tulio ! Do I detect a slight Germanic accent ? Quite nice of you to show your two feline companions :D. They look like total sweethearts !

571d56a9c36fe_31march20160500hrs__001.th

Thanks!!

I can't speak a word of German, only Portugues, some Italian that I got from my grandparents, and some Russian. 

I have 7 feline sons here in the house. I could never do a video without one of them being together. 

I have Svetlana for the last three months. Adopted her at my local petshop. She had being found inside a carboard box on a empty lot. She was three months old. Now she's getting huge!! 

Last year my cat Tripata passed away without any warning. He was a great companion and had being my uncle's before he passed in 2011. Tripata had only three legs due to an accident when he was a kitty, and was a healthy 17 year old cat, until his heart gave up, and he died on the way to the vet. I was in bad shape for at least six months after that, really depressed. People that don't have cats don't believe we can love them like sons. About three months ago, I went to the pet shop to get some special food for my other elder cat, Mitch that is 18 years old, and there the vet offered my if I wanted to adopt a kitten.  She knew me well, and made me hold the kitten... Had to bring her home. 

Take a look at my Flickr album on my cats. 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lovefordgalaxie/albums/72157625931252193