Model Cars Magazine Forum

Oval track-non-NASCAR?

• 5 years later...

It's been quite some time since I've been here and I'm sorry to say that I haven't checked in sooner.  Great models by everyone ... love the stuff!

Here's a neat thing done by my good friend Todd Lewis ... it's a little diecast midget that he lettered with my name (and dirtied up, which I love to see on models!) as a gift a year or two ago.  I loved it and decided to make a small cardboard and marker-colored display diorama.  Thanks Todd!

Midget from Todd-0.JPG

Midget from Todd-1.JPG

Midget from Todd-3.JPG

Midget from Todd-4.JPG

Midget from Todd-paper-5.JPG

Midget from Todd-paper-6.JPG

Not sure if I posted this before ... my apologies if I have.  This is a semi-scratch built model of my dad's 1938 Nutley Velodrome, NJ board track HD powered midget.  I built this back in the 1963-5 era.  The body is vac-formed via an old frind's dad's dental business or something.  AMT wheels and Revell HD motor.  The photo of my dad in '38 with temporay number on the car.  

A_0008.jpg

A_0009.jpg

Art Naprstek1938-B.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/12/2016 at 8:37 AM, FordRodnKustom said:

I built this fictional AMT 40 around 1980 or so from memory...long before the internet.

http://media.fotki.com/1_p,ddfkkrkrgtkkqqxwqbdrwgkrgdf,vi/wtfdwdfsgxwgwdqsgkk/1/192875/856291/33002-vi.jpg

Love the #33!  Wish I'd have built that one.  The body has a real thin sheetmetal feel to it!  

Edited by Joel Naprstek

The short lived R & C Models magazine from the 60's was very inspirational and influential on my model making, so much so that I subscribed, great articles and tips. I have the pictured issue and remember reading the sprint car article, it was way beyond my abilities.

The model of your Dad's sprint car was great!

On 7/5/2021 at 7:13 PM, echo said:

The short lived R & C Models magazine from the 60's was very inspirational and influential on my model making, so much so that I subscribed, great articles and tips. I have the pictured issue and remember reading the sprint car article, it was way beyond my abilities.

The model of your Dad's sprint car was great!

Thanks for the compliment.  Yes, that was a great magazine, the best at the time.   

On 5/13/2016 at 6:54 AM, Foxer said:

These are some great looking modifieds here ... mine is way back in the build list so maybe seeing these great builds will move it up in the que!

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc105/Foxerjr/Modified/35ChevymodifiedDSC_2208.jpg

Looks good.  I like the cut down door ... classic stuff.

On 5/23/2016 at 8:09 PM, rmvw guy said:

The only one I have based on a real car I found in an old yellow page directory.  I delivered newspapers to this place of business when I was a kid, so I had to build it.  All the rest of my cars in the previous post are pure fiction.

image.jpeg

Classic stuff ... love it.