Model Cars Magazine Forum

Removing pre-decorated graphics

There is a hobby shop in town that is closing its doors, sadly...the owners are retiring...so I picked up one of these.  For $4, why not.

Does anyone know the best method to remove the pre-printed graphics?  I could just prime and paint over, but I'm afraid the graphics will just sort of show as a raised area underneath the paint.

Ideas and thoughts would be much appreciated! :)

AMT-30003-2.jpg

Is the body painted as well or is it just shiny plastic? If painted do you want to keep the paint intact and just get rid of the graphics? I would probably just put it in Purple Power and let that soak all my troubles away. That would strip everything off. An alternative might be to use oven cleaner but it is pretty messy. If you use either, use protection. Skin and lye don't mix well. If you just want to remove the graphics, fine sandpaper, a light touch and patience are your best bet.

Either 91% rubbing alcohol or Purple Power will do it, sorta. I got almost all of the graphics off of this exact kit with one of them. Sorry, I don't remember which. Needed a long soak, and a lot of elbow grease and a stiff denture toothbrush. Since you're going to prime it, this should do the job.