Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '48 Ford Coupe

Aaron_F

Do you always paint the chassis components red and the mufflers blue?

This being a custom ( and a gorgeous one at that,) color choices for the various components are determined by the builder's individual tastes. It's quite common to see 1:1 vehicles like this one at car shows with the front and rear axles painted accent colors.

The mufflers in these Revell flathead-motored kits are representative of Smithy glass packs which have always come painted hammertone blue since the 40's. Definitely a correct traditional hot rod detail.

;)

Well said, that is a beautiful car

Nice period custom.Great finish and shine also.The only change I personally would have made would be to add new drip molding over the windows.Just a personal thing not in any way criticizing your choices.Thanks for sharing.

To be honest, I only sanded the drip rails off so I wouldn't burn through the paint in those areas during polishing. LOL! I agree that it would look good with them back on.

Edited by Aaron_F

This being a custom ( and a gorgeous one at that,) color choices for the various components are determined by the builder's individual tastes. It's quite common to see 1:1 vehicles like this one at car shows with the front and rear axles painted accent colors.

Thanks for the compliments!

I actually took the red suspension idea from the Snooky Janich '41 Ford, which was being restored at the time I built this. It was built by Barris in the late '40's and the suspension was all painted red. I used this same idea on my black '40 coupe. The mufflers are meant to resemble the old blue Smithy glasspacks, just as Dennis Lacy pointed out

Thanks for the compliments!

I actually took the red suspension idea from the Snooky Janich '41 Ford, which was being restored at the time I built this. It was built by Barris in the late '40's and the suspension was all painted red. I used this same idea on my black '40 coupe. The mufflers are meant to resemble the old blue Smithy glasspacks, just as Dennis Lacy pointed out

I got into hot rodding in the early '60's. I had many friends with cars like this, well not nearly as nice, but the point being chrome work was expensive and your ride would be down for how long? So flashy paint was the answer, whether it was red or white, often times the under side of the fenders as well. ;)

One more "custom" touch was running without the hood, pure "Hot Rod", at least that's the way we saw it. B)

Either way this build is "Bitchin'".:lol:

Edited by Greg Myers

• 1 month later...