Model Cars Magazine Forum

66 Novabuild

Johnt671

Started on this kit, I was going to build the Bill Jenkins version, but changed my mind.

I'm building a street/strip version. It's always exciting when you get to this point on a build and really start to see the car.

The full car picture is a mock up to see how it will look. Now to finish mounting the front wheels, and working or the final stance.

I'm having problems with the wheel / tire fitment. The front tires that came with the kit stuck out too far, but that was an easy fix. I sanded the wheel backing down until the tires were under the fenders. The rear wheels and tires are a problem that I'm having a hard time overcoming. The slicks that came with the kit don't properly the wheels, but I think I could use them as I want lift the rear up some. I tried to glue the to the wheels to test the fit and stance but they keep coming off the wheels as soon as I touch them. They also hit the fender toward the front of the opening. I've sanded the inner fender to get a little more room But I can't gain enough. I've tried a few different size slicks from my parts box that were skinnier, but taller, but they don't work either.

Has anyone else solved this challenge?

Thanks Chris. And thanks Lizard for the tip. I did shorten the rear end, and sanded the wheel backing to move the tires in a bit. I sanded the the body a little more like you said to get a little more room, and that helped. now I'm looking to shim the rear spring to raise the rear stance higher which also should help. I went through my spare parts looking for a bigger wheel backing, and of course I only found one that is a tight fix on the tire. At least I've made some progress.

So after doing the above tip I wound up with this. I'm happy with the way it stands, higher at the rear, I crazy glued the tires to the wheel backings and made a temporary shim to raise the rear. Now to make a nice set of shims and finally move on with this build.

Thanks again for the help.

Some progress. I've been under the weather for a while, and and trying to get my Fiero ready for the national show at Carlisle PA June 18th.

Working in the interior. I did some detailing on it, but I need to strip and repaint the dash board. Note to self, look at the 1to1 pictures before you paint.

Some detail on the front that will be hidden once the body goes on.

Except for some minor touch up the engine compartment is done.

I'm fabbing up a street type exhaust using the side exhaust with glass pack mufflers, and primed the hood so I can get the color on it to see how it will look.

Not much progress yet., but some.

Painted the hood to get a little color on it, but now I have to strip it and start over.

Fabbed the exhaust and got to prime it today. A little more sanding and I can paint it up. The glass packs will be a little different shade of red so they look like Cherry Bombs.

More progress. I stripped the hood and dashboard, and started detailing the dash.

Made a pair of extended shocks to fit the jacked up rear end.

Shocks are on.

Exhaust is done, but it won't go on until the end so I don't keep knocking it off.

• 3 weeks later...

Now that the Carlisle Nationals show is over, back to work. I'm putting an order together for Replicas & Miniatures for some floor shifters the carry because I didn't really like what I was able to make. The interior is almost done.

Body is primed, and after a little more work will be ready for paint. Maybe all painted by Saturday.

I painted it today. This is the first coat.

I think it's done.

While it dries so I can BMF it I'll work on touching up the undercarrage. and do a little detailing on it and work on the grill.

I saw this kit on clearance at Michaels for 12 bucks, so I'll go back and get another, and maybe do the Bill Jenkins version. It will be pretty cheap with a 40% off coupon.

Went to Michaels and picked up another one. I did some detailing on the chassis today. It needs a little touch up and it will be done.

Starting to look good. I think I'll go with the chrome rocker panels to help break up the red. I won't know for sure until I do the foil and the trim, but I think it will look better with it.

Its turning into a nicer build than I thought it was when I opened the box. Plus it has some nice speed parts. Seeing how nice it's coming out makes me wish I had done a little more detailing on it when I started. I think I'm going to build the one I picked up today into the Grumpys Toy version, but use the dual four barrel carb and high rise intake, along with the hood scoop that are in the kit. I'd be tempted to buy a bunch of this kit because there are so many different ways to build it. A 396/427 version or a stock six motor come to mind.

Anyone know if anyone has photo etched parts for it? I thought I saw a set some where on the internet, but I was confused as to how to place an order, plus I hadn't picked the kit up yet.

A little more progress, cleared the hood ans did some detail on the front and tail lights.

I used a clear I bought for something around the house, And thought I'd try it on the car. It came out nice without any buffing. I hope the gloss shows up on the screen. I tried to get better light in another room. I'll take a picture of the clear coat can and post it in my next pictures.

The hood is cleared and the fenders aren't.

The nose and tail lights. I think i'll go another coat of wash in the grill.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit a snag on this. I'm not a pro at foiling, but this one is working right. I put it down for a while, but tonight I'm going to try again with a new sheet of foil. I thought posting pictures of the finished crome work would help, so here goes.

This is the clear I used on the hood that turned out nice. Now to finish the foiling and clear the rest of the body. I getting so close now!

Thanks. I may try to get a picture outside today in better light so you can see the cleared hood on the body. The picture I posted above shows it a little but it looks nicer in person.

LOL about the car business. Not a dealer, but my wife and I own four cars between us. Two are mostly show cars, one is a daily driver, and one is a trip car. I can't do as much work on them as I use to, so they go in the shop for anything big. I save the tags and put them back on the ring when one goes in.

• 2 months later...

Car show season is mostly over, so I'm back to work on this one. When I had a little down time I started to BMF the window trim, but I had problems and some how I nicked the paint. I was frustrated and let the model sit for a while. I started in again late last week and decided to use a paint stick to do most of the trim, and foiled the strip down the side of the car. It came out ok I guess, but I want to see if I can clean up a couple of spots to get it a little better.

I used some Meguiars compound to buff the hood up a little bit. I don't know if it will show up well in the pictures, but I took a couple of pictures from different angles to try and show it.

I had to do a little more paint touch up and after the paint dries out some I'll clear coat the rest of the body and maybe finish it up over the weekend.