Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Problem

ok heres the problem

i have a 48 chevy sedan delivery with a great finish

but when i went to mask the stuff i wanted to keep flaked/metallic off it actually worked

but heres the bad part i painted over the masking tape and let it dry for a day when i removed the tape i descovered that some of the paint blead under the tape

i really dont want to strip it because it is after all a $35 paint job

how can i fix this problem????

what should i use????

please help

Guest Gramps-xrds

It depends on what type of paint you used to start with. If it's lacq based and the bottom coat has been on for a good while, you can try some mineral spirits and rub along the edge of the new paint. sometimes it will remove new lacq. It's worked for me a time or two. If it's enamel base, about the only thing I can suggest is let it cure for a few weeks and try a more aggressive rubbing compound. Or you could try it now. Some of the compounds have a solvent in them and it may remove the new paint. You'd need to test it on the paint someplace that won't show. If it's model paint I don't know what to tell you, most of the ones I used to use were enamel, but now I can't say.

Good luck. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

It depends on what type of paint you used to start with. If it's lacq based and the bottom coat has been on for a good while, you can try some mineral spirits and rub along the edge of the new paint. sometimes it will remove new lacq. It's worked for me a time or two. If it's enamel base, about the only thing I can suggest is let it cure for a few weeks and try a more aggressive rubbing compound. Or you could try it now. Some of the compounds have a solvent in them and it may remove the new paint. You'd need to test it on the paint someplace that won't show. If it's model paint I don't know what to tell you, most of the ones I used to use were enamel, but now I can't say.

Good luck. Maybe someone has a better suggestion.

its krylon paint

Guest Gramps-xrds
its krylon paint

I'm not sure but I think Krylon might be a synthetic enamel. I've never used it that I know of. I know I haven't used on models. The rubbing compound still might work.

ok heres the problem

i have a 48 chevy sedan delivery with a great finish

but when i went to mask the stuff i wanted to keep flaked/metallic off it actually worked

but heres the bad part i painted over the masking tape and let it dry for a day when i removed the tape i descovered that some of the paint blead under the tape

i really dont want to strip it because it is after all a $35 paint job

how can i fix this problem????

what should i use????

please help

You might try Novus #2. It is a plastic polish

• 2 weeks later...

Masking.... I used to use bare metal foil to mask, two / tone paint, burnished it, and then attached masking tape to the bare metal area, it hasnt failed me yet.

recently i was told tamiya paint is good for masking, havent tried it yet, will be soon though as a roll of that is equal to baremetal foil, but bmf is expensive to mask with

billd

I do the same thing jantrix does. What I use is HOK INTERCOAT CLEAR SG-100 after each paint layer is applied, pattern and even befor murals are added. This way it give's me a smooth surface for the tape to stick. No matter what you do when you have raw paint the tape never seem's to stick no matter how hard you try. This way if you mess up you can at least sand your mistake without getting into the main paint job. I Never had a paint problem since.