Model Cars Magazine Forum

71 K&K Charger Daytona

71roadrunner426

Hi I've been using super glue and talking to someone else he uses super glue with baking soda as it has more filler properties and sets like concrete. Bonus is it sands down super smooth and doesnt shrink back, an issue I had using other kinds of fillers. Hope this helps you out. Cheers Steve

Hi I've been using super glue and talking to someone else he uses super glue with baking soda as it has more filler properties and sets like concrete. Bonus is it sands down super smooth and doesnt shrink back, an issue I had using other kinds of fillers. Hope this helps you out. Cheers Steve

the down side to the superglue and baking soda trick is it ends up destorying any chrome plating ,try superglue and talcum powder, same results without the destruction of chrome. I learnt the hard way. 

Edited by Yahshu

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but, if I recall, Dodge never made a Daytona option for '71? Was this something that K&K did? Nonetheless, I'm watching to see how well you pull this off!

Chrysler did Wind Tunnel testing of a '71 Daytona and Superbird, but they never went into production due to NASCAR changing the rules to outlaw them. I built one of these a long, long time ago, but went with a single wing, I didn't know the cars existed when I built mine, so I did it how I thought it would have been made, no NASCAR stuff, just a street car.

71Daytona0003-vi.jpg

71Daytona0004-vi.jpg

71Daytona0002-vi.jpg

I don't mean to hijack the topic, but, if I recall, Dodge never made a Daytona option for '71? Was this something that K&K did? Nonetheless, I'm watching to see how well you pull this off!

Here's a link to the actual real car build.

http://www.71wingcars.com/page.aspx?id=1

http://www.71wingcars.com/view_item.aspx?page=4&id=139

Edited by jjsipes

I have never tried the super glue technique before. What I have found to work best for small areas such as this is to shape some pieces of the parts tree since it is the same plastic as the body,  and use them as fillers for the vents. Sand the area until it looks flat and then use as little body filler as possible to cover any voids left from the filler parts. This should minimize any ghosting from where the body and filler parts meet. .