Model Cars Magazine Forum

My Dads 1968 Dodge Dart New Progress 1-15-2017

426-Hemi

My Dad had a real car like this, that I remember seeing, NOT, it got traded off, (A whole OTHER story), but I got a picture of the real car and thought I'd model it, just because, well it was my Dad's, and its a Mopar....
The real car, however had a 318 in it. With that, I went the route to use the small block that came with the Little Red Wagon as that is a 273, and the 318 was built off the same block and so, used it, BUT I'm rethinking it, as the 273, really, had a look all of its own, even tho, the block was the same except for inside bore. So I thought why not? Sadly, I found out "why not"? It looks really nothing like a "318" on the outside so....
Anyway, I got the frame ready for the motor (thought I had the motor done) but thats all gonna change!
BUT, heres some pictures of the start:
5507395e070e2a03bae5c9cfc70e1d96.jpg
a9bbaeef570f568321f2299853ee0b93.jpg
This ----^
Is the model of the 273, I was going to use as a "318" but have since, changed my mind....I "souped" it up a bit by adding a 2X4 intake to have 2, four barrels on it. BUT that too, was never done EVEN THO I had found the intake at my Dads shop so....(Needless to say, he spoke of it, but it never got done and he had traded off the car anyway....My guess was that if he kept the car, he would have added that to it, BUT, it never happened, partially because the intake may have been in a place he wasn't able to either find it quickly, or simply didn't know where it was! (I've found these same intakes are a bit pricey too!) Specially for the Mopar "LA" 318!
0bf1887ab6750cc94f80248f2a65e29b.jpg
This green is a 2 part coating, I used a Testors Flat Beret Green base/primer to allow it to dry, wet sanded lightly, to then add a color coat of Testors Model Masters Gloss Bristish Green Metallic, This color was wet sanded as well, and between each coat it was wet sanded to equal 3 coats the last coat looks GREAT!
I think so far, it turned out pretty well! NOW, I need to figure out the engine and get that sorted as the frame is just about done and ready for the engine!
More to come as I progress! 
As always, Comments Welcome! ENJOY!

Edited by 426-Hemi
Title Line Update

OK a bit of an update...... I got my '57 300 DONE so now its time to pull out ALL those models I "was" one time working on! So this one is the latest.... I had the parts out for a small block Mopar LA engine, so with that, I got to assembling one to make it a "318" as it should be......As really, the 273 I used from the Little Red Wagon "Stock" motor just did NOT look like a 318.....I really am a sucker for details so, if it doesn't look "just-so" to me, yepper, I yank it and start over.....
So without further waiting, here is whats happening on this one!

Motor on the right WAS the one I made for it originally......
Motero n the left, is the NEW Mopar LA 318 that will go in its place under the hood! 
Notice, the left hand motor has a single plane intake... thats how the real car was after talking with my Step-Mom, and finding out Dad did have a dual carburetor intake, BUT it never made it onto the engine of this car.....He kept the intake as about the time of this car, he owned 4 Mopar vehicles, ALL having the Mopar "LA" small Block 318 in them! (Was said he was going to use it on his truck that had a 318 in it.....

another shot. showing that the valve covers are in fact, missing....... they were replaced as the originals were Mopar Engine Red, and my Dad, being my Dad did actually change them, to chrome the same day he bought the car! SO, they are setting waiting to be "chromed"....

Final shot for now, showing the original engine was going ot have "Headers" ANOTHER thing my Dad spoke of and did not see done so, with that the 318 that is to replace the one I built originally, will have exhaust manifolds, NOT headers......
Thats all for now folks.....More to follow as things happen, I'm re-setting the frame to except the new engine so..... The mounts need a slight tweaking in order to make it fit and set properly in the car......

So with this going and was setting like it was neglected for so long.....I thought while I was at it, I'd continue on with the "new" engine.....
SO, I began "detailing" that poor ole Mopar 318, it looked naked for a bit.....
I took and got the Mechanical Fuel Pump in place (was a missing detail on the molded engine of mine) SO got that did, and continued to add details, you'll see its got a Carter AFB Carburetor, and the supply line to it with a filter.

In this picture you can also see peaking around the corner is the carburetor return spring and some linkage that I done!

Other side, you look closely you can see the carb linkage I did as well as this engine got its correct exhaust manifolds as well! BOTH sides!
In the very front of the engine, notice that little section of black hose? THIS was on ALL Mopar small blocks! The "LA" series engines, meaning the 273, 318, 340, and the 360! This little hose, connects the water pump with the intake to have a thermostat under the radiator hose! ONE of some such details I have yet to see any one company make on there models even if its a "cast-in" detail! Me being me, and a stickler for details, well I just HAD to have it on the engine! This particular detail of mine was made with a short section of 1/16th inch "leather" necklace jewelry craft cord from Micheal's Craft Stores......Looks GREAT as a "hose", and its cheap! Like $2 for about 10 feet or 15 feet of the stuff! I use it for ALL my "small" diameter hose details!

NOW the engine is starting to take shape! My own small block Mopar castings on the valve covers that I myself "chromed" with Alclad chrome......You look and see that little black hose again, coming from the center of the valve cover? That is the PCV valve hose it leads to the back of the carburetor to try and use ALL "blow-by" that gets past the piston rings to aid a better emission rating! This detail is that same necklace leather cord I mentioned above!
Also you can see the wire looms that are mounted to the valve covers. They are like this in real life as well!

GREAT side shot, showing the exhaust manifold and all the detail on this side of the engine currently.

Same thing opposite side. Notice that the 2 exhaust manifolds are different? They are such as they had to get the exhaust pipe down away from the head, but not to close the starter, and if the car going in it, had power steering this made the exhaust a bit difficult to run....SO, they made the manifold reflect that issue! This Dart WILL have power steering! :D

NICE bright shot......Who said Alclad couldn't be made to look like an actual "plating"?????? I think it looks GREAT on my Resin castings personally!
And for the record, this WHOLE engine, to date is MY CASTING! The block, transmission, both heads, intake, both valve covers, oil pan, timing chain cover and water pump, and the carburetor, the only parts NOT my work are the exhaust manifolds.....They are some difficult to make a mold for that casts correctly every time!
Well thats all for now folks, more to be posted when more happens! ENJOY!

So, a little more for an update on this one......Coming along nicely I must say!

The frame, showing some details added, fuel lines supply and return, single exhaust, and rear brake line as well as rear and front suspension and detailed up nicely!

A better rear of frame shot....showing a bit more details! The exhaust you see, is all made by me and used factory muffler, the pipe is custom bent per the models parts. BUT because this car my Dad owned was powered by a Mopar 318, and had single exhaust, I had to make and still have to make the pipe to be under the car as its all done custom per how the real car was!

Close up of the fuel tank, piping to it. Rearend, and brake line detail as well as a close shot of the exhaust pipe work I done.....
More to come as I'm able, I'm trying to get the engine in the frame so I can finish up the frame on this car as its REAL CLOSE to being done!

-Sadly, a short update, this model has been put on hold..... it some how managed to get on the floor and one of 2 people stepped on the shell with the hood "setting" in place so.....  B-| only the body tho and hood as the frame and all were in the kits box and safe. So, I'm now on a hunt for a shell to do all over again!  >:D
So till one is gotten, this kit is on hold!

Boy has it been awhile since I laid fingers on this model! I had thought I had everything ready to go for assembly, but turns out, I had sit the whole kit aside, after the first body got destroyed, and I know its been over a year since I even laid eyes on this kit never mind touched the thing! SO, while other kits parts were drying, I was left a sitting duck! What was I gonna work on? WELL, I had thought I'd do some chrome work on the grille to this kit, (adding the flat back to the grill to get the effect that it can be seen through. WELL upon opening the box to it, I noticed the whole interior had yet to be worked on never mind any thing else! Not even painted! SO, going through the parts, seeing what was there for parts to the interior, I thought I'd go on to getting some paint on them, the car itself, in real life (as I have mentioned, my Dad owned one, and thought, why not model it? Even tho it was a car he did not have very long! But that too, a year or so, of owning it, and the whole family in an uproar the day he sold it, well its worth modeling!
I know of this car, I never rode in it..... BUT, I have but one picture of the actual car that was taken some time ago.....
From that single picture, I can see that the interior was Dodge's standard "tan" interior....... As I can see the top of the seats! This is all I know of this car, and what it needs for detailing the kit. So off I went to my trusty ole Air Brush, mix up some paint and let 'er rip, and get some color on those unpainted plastic parts!!!!

I had removed the parts to the seats to glue them together file the seam where they went together and then held them with "alligator clips" on sticks to paint them..... All in a couple light coats of Testors "Sand Tan".. that will get a dull over coat of "Matte" to flatten the shine! 

I even went a head and painted the "Console" part on the floor pan tunnel.... I left the floor boards mostly bare, as I have a carpet trick I need to pull off, NOT requiring the use of my Air Brush to make it happen!

Door panels look GREAT! LOTS of visual details that need some enhancing outside of the base color!

Front seats look great!!!! Again, a little detail might be added to them, the lever that lowers the back on each "outside" rear corner, (the seats themselves have recesses in them for detailing! STOCK right out of the box! SO, I may have to see how far I can get detailing the seats as thats one detail you hardly ever see, never mind someone doing it! (I'm just this side of crazy to attempt it!) LOL All depends on how much space is from the seats edge to the door panel if I do add it! We'll see on that one!
All of that tan "shine" will disappear before long, as soon as I am able to hit it with some clear Matte finish! THEN detailing things will begin!
I know its been a L-O-N-G time since I've worked on this kit, Nice to see things "happening" on it once again! Thanks for looking, Comments welcome, ENJOY!

So after the nice tan paint I sprayed dried, over-night, I went right on to pull off a Carpet Trick.... BUT before I could do that, I had some taping to do to make it all work out!

The tape, was needed as you'll see! I added it alone each side, to keep paint OFF the edge where the door panels will be glued into place, as well as paint OFF the driver-s side floor mat, as well as any "other" paint off the center console, and the front, base of the back seat!

From the back looking to the front, to show that ALL of these surfaces to be protected were taped off.....

From the passenger side front, looking at this tape work, it almost looks to perfect (I'm good with that!)
I also added some seat mounts to the floor boards, to slightly "raise" the seats up off the floor to look as tho they have seat mounts, (like a real car, where you find all that loose change!) LOL -Theres a REASON I done this! Besides the detail factor! 
Then.........
Once all this was taped off, I had to take the same color I Air Brushed onto the rear seat and the center console, and rear window shelf, and BRUSHED it on, on the floor boards, HEAVILY.... What I'm doing here, you do NOT want to spare the paint, lay it on THICK, as you'll see why!

INSTANT "Carpet"!!!!

NICE clean lines..... To bad my Truck doesn't have carpet this clean LOL

Notice the Driver's side floor mat is unpainted, and has NO carpet on it? I plan to paint that Semi-Gloss Black once this is all dry!

This all looks GREAT! Will look even better all said and done (I never said I was "good" at interiors, and really, I don't think I am. but this is showing me, that I can do them pretty good! I'm pleased with the colors and how they come together!
NOW, the carpet? Thats Embossing Powder, thats NOT heated to stick, the paint I laid on thick and heavy is the glue! It gives the Embossing Powder a colored base, and adheres it to the model, you literally DUMP the Embossing Powder on top of the wet paint, lightly press down on top of the pile everywhere you can, and simply shake off the loose onto a sheet of paper.... Then fold the paper and pour it back into the container which you took it from! 
A lot of guys use Ken's Fuzzy Fur, but to me "stock" OEM carpet isn't "fuzzy"..... Others like using "Flocking", which if you want "fuzzy" furry texture, thats how to get it, but as I said, I don't think stock OEM carpet looked anywhere near or felt "fuzzy". The Embossing Powder looks the best for this sort of thing!
NOW the funny part of this? The interior of this car, is scented! LOL The Embossing Powder I used was a clearance item a while ago at Micheal's, and it scented. even when used as its originally supposed to be, smells like "Root Beer" which is kinda funny, that was my Dad's favorite soda!
Thats it for now, on this one, Back to my other "current" build, only working on this one right now to pass time and get a little done on it!
As always comments welcome, ENJOY! 

Hey, looks great!  One of the reasons your dad may have never used the 2x4 intake on a 318 is that the heads did not breathe well for more than the stock 2bbl carb or a small (650 cfm) 4 bbl.  I don't think that Chrysler ever put a 4bbl on a stock 318.  So a 2x4 would make performance worse without other work on the rest of the engine.  A stock engine with OEM intake was likely a Dual Plane intake, not a single.  Single plane intakes not very "streetable" unless the rest of the engine is modified and then usually only for performance.   Visually the dual plane is more like what is on your engine.  A single plane looks more like the intakes on the NASCAR kits and are usually aluminum. Sounds like your dad's car was a "mainstreamer" that he had plans for.  I had a 318 71 Dart Swinger and remember the plans I had for it.  Great car, fun car.  Mostly stock.   

Also, I am glad you got the new engine.  The original one looked like a weird Ford/mopar hybrid.  Exh manifolds defintely look like a Ford set.  Is this from the AMT/MPC Duster 340?  The LA engines were pretty much identical from the outside.  Heck, put a 340 air cleaner on it and unless you really know the stampings, visually not much difference.  Had a guy try to sell me a 66? Dart GT once.  HAd to check he numbers, only to find out the car was a GT but motor was a 318 with a 4bbl - explained why it din't run all that well.  

Great work so far.  Great idea to put the small block in there.  I have the Lindberg Dodge 330 with the slant 6 and was thinking of building a Dart for it.  A base model.  Would need to fab up a bench seat and some other details.  I've built all the Dart kits so far and each one has been a fun project.  I also bought some embossing powder the other week to try since it gets pretty high praises for realism.  

Can't wait to see more.

Randyc

Randy,

WELL yes, and no...... My Dad, he loved the 318, and the car he had was a matching number car! The LA 318 "stock" with a 2 barrel was a good engine, sure enough, BUT was a grocery getter...... They (Chrysler) DID offer a 318 in High Performance, for Police Cars of the "K" car era! BUT all they were really were 318 blocks, cam'd, up 340 style high performance heads, with a 360 4 barrel intake. AND had the good crank in them! -Good engines ot this day the Magnum even has trouble doing what those engines done, and continues to do! 

As for what my Dad had the 360 4 barrel intake and was gonna use a 650 CFM Carter on it (a true 360 carburetor) so..... I'm not sure if he had any head work done, OR had thoughts or even had other heads. the J heads were the 340's, 6 pack heads.... So, were a good HP increase if used, on any of the LA small blocks!

As for my model, the original model engine looks to much like a 273, then a 318, the manifolds I have no idea what they're from or off of! -Yes, they are a bit odd.... And WAY different then a Mopar 318 would have.... Can't even say they're "318 truck" manifolds (yes those are different from the car, to the truck!)

But, the first motor, well No Dad didn't get to use the 2x4 intake, but its more the "look" of the motor, it doesn't look the part of a '68 318.... Like I said it looks a lot more like a 273 then a 318, the valve covers ARE different "looking" even tho, you can bolt either to the same heads! They all interchange within the "LA" family of engines!

As far as engine choice, sadly, I'm not making the choice of engine, I'm going by what was in the real car, in real life..... -If it had a slant 6 in it, thats what I'd be using! ALL of my "Family Build" models are being built as they were in real life........... Plus, I actually modifying the kits hood too! The real car, had a FLAT hood! NO "Power Bulges" in it! SO, with that I took the "Hemi" hood to the kit, plating-over the opening and I'm filling in the seams, and once done, you'll never be able to tell there was a hole there! -I got the "top" done, I'm working on the underside of it now!

NOW, something to really spark your interest (I'm not sure if I mentioned it in the posting while I was building the engine) -IT is ALL my resin casting work!) I molded the engine, I molded the transmission, I molded the heads, I molded the valve covers, I molded the intake! The ONLY parts, not from my own molds? The carburetor, and BOTH of the exhaust manifolds.... I molded everything else as you see it. The engine right now is almost done, and I need to get pics of it, BEFORE it goes into the frame to stay!

Anyway thanks tho, for reading and following along! -Much appreciated!

So a little more on this build. I got to looking closely at the picture of the car, and turns out, (What I didn't notice on Dad's Car before!) It has a completely FLAT hood! SO looking through the kits parts, it came with 2 hoods which is GREAT! Because one hood, has the "Power Bulges" in it. And the other was made for the BIG Hemi Hood Scoop! WELL, having said that, the "Power Bulge" hood I WILL be making it to match the car! (just to give the single one car, 2 slightly different looks, BUT, the way Dad's Dart was, with a flat hood, I took the Hemi Hood, and made a flat plate to sit firmly into the area in which the Hood Scoop was to mount! -This, gave me the hood in which the car is rightfully to have! I got the "top" of the hood, all nice and smooth....
cb10dd15fa8d7ef5c0acc780c03a5389.jpg
Looks great in primer and smooth as tho the "hole" for the scoop wasn't even there!
038f2091a8f9d1593e6ddcf0d2f01a32.jpg
Not EVEN a "line" for where the plastic sheet I cut to fit is! Unless you had looked underneath of the hood, you could not even tell there was a hole there! AND to top it all off, this primer I used? Isn't "High-Build" filler primer! Its random Wal-Mart "Color Place" gray primer! -I'd say the body work here was done PERFECTLY for this!
Here:
936ed561bbfd5274ff18a07b355b31ae.jpg
You see the beginning of removal of the "lip" that the hood scoop was to glue too! I took my Dremel, and cut off with a cutter bit, to remove the lip, and then used Super Glue and Baking Soda to fill in any lines that were there.. 
96d92cd4459f0feeb2d9967ab045ef44.jpg
6c7335a8a37f3922424e4f66d82401f1.jpg
These 2 pics show a little "depth" and some more needed work to flatten out, and smooth out the joints in the hoods plastic to the sheet styrene I used to fill in the hole! As of this last update to the build this side of the hood sits with its 3rd coat of that same "Color Place" primer! I'll wet sand this out once able (when dry) and see where its at as far as "finish" goes....
Once this is all done, I'll begin the painting of its first coat of Dark Green Metallic..... BUT that is a little while away before that begins!
This is it for now, MORE will follow as things happen! As always comments welcome!~ ~Enjoy!

Edited by 426-Hemi

Looks good.  My great aunt had a 68 or 9 Dart - buttercup? yellow with a black vinyl top.  slant 6.  I remember how it sounded "different".   That's about all I can remember about the car though.  I liked it.  Just didn't realize at that young age I was going to be a Mopar guy, I guess.

I'm watchi9ng - keep building.

Randy

Thanks guys! I got BOTH hoods (I'm making a "stand-in" hood with the power bulges just to give the car a "different" look when all done! BUT, the flat hood is the kits "mainstay" as far as "Family Building" goes....

But, anyway, both hoods right now, have Dark Green Metallic paint on the underside of them! I have to see what each will require once dry.... The stock Power Bulge hood shouldn't need much more of anything besides some clear coat, and then the insulation detailing....

Thanks Dale, you know what this thing is gonna get from me! As you've seen what I "stuff" under hoods and how that all goes with me, first hand, Thanks tho man, you know it!

Bill,

Yeah, I got a lot of "Family Cars" being built, this is just one of many, BUT this one, has sit for so long it needed some attention, badly! (I had originally thought, I completed the interior, which it was never touched, thats how long it sat) SO, I'm trying to bring it up to par with some other models I'm doing just to gain some accomplishment on it.... I do however got a new body as well as the hoods that you see I'm working on. I haven't touched the body as of yet, I got a ways to go on the hood(s) before I go to tackle that body.....

As for the interior, yes I too think the Embossing Powder looks much more like real carpet for a build such as this, BUT I also like the Kens Fuzzy Fur and or Flocking for builds that had that fuzzy look to them and even REAL fur. (YES, I have shaved fur off a pet once or twice for such!) -This kinda "look" is more for the late 40's early 60's type stuff.... NOT for a Muscle Car era auto! (At least, not to me, UNLESS your really customizing.... All goes with personal taste, and what your trying to achieve! A LOT with me, are "stock" OEM type builds, BUT I will have my "Customs" as well....

Mike,

Thanks! Yeah, I have a few "owned" builds going on, (Some I haven't even posted yet!) -I do got a replacement body, that will be getting the works! BUT I think whats going to be the best is the fact the first body, got wrecked, as I have a much closer color to the real car.....

I'm currently working between the Dash, and the door panels, a little Semi-Gloss Black, and a little BMF trim, on top of that Sand Tan paint.... The Sand Tan, however, has been overcoated with Semi-Gloss Clear, to take just a little of that bright shine away! -And the underside of both hoods have been painted Dark Green Metallic, and is drying (it could probably be gloss clear coated by now) so....

Stay tuned guys! More will follow shortly!

So in my last update, I was working the plastic on the flat hood, and speaking of use on the Power Bulge hood.... WELL, with my last coat of primer, the hood looked really good for the under-side of it! SO, I went on to hit it with Duplicolor Dark Green Metallic....

Not to bad! I see a little in the way of lines on the under-side that did not show in the primer, BUT thats OK, I can "live" with a little discrepancy on it.... Its not going to be perfect as the real car wasn't perfect so. As long as the top-side looks as smooth as glass, I'm OK with that!
I then carried on to do the same to the under-side of the "Power Bulge" hood....

Sprayed both under-sides VIA rattle can right from Duplicolor, and it looks GREAT! I have clear coated both of these right now drying as I type this. Once both are dry, I'll work on what little needs done to the top-side of the flat hood, and get it ready for Dark Green Metallic paint and then the under-side of the Power Bulge hood, will get the treatment of the hood insulation, once I'm happy with the clear coat on it. THEN, it will be off to the top-side of that hood!
Thanks for looking, More to follow!

So to keep going, I sat the hoods aside to cure before making any sort og judgement on them and where to go next with them till they were fully dry & cure. SO, I picked up the interior and got to looking after painting the Sand Tan for the base color to all the interior parts, and the first part that needed MORE was the dash! Looking at pictures of a '68 & a '69 dash of the same color they closely look similar, and it turns out, the dash with the kit? resembles the '69 dash WAY more then the '68 dash in the picture I had! So, I followed the '69 dash or what was listed as the '69 dash as it looks BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH near identical to the models, kit-supplied part!
Seeing how things were, I went on to paint that center section semi-gloss black. Let to dry, and looked at the door panels to the kits interior, to see what was in-store for me there.... From what I can see, from pictures online, and what the parts actually look like There wasn't much for "other" differing colors then that of the base color in the more basic Darts of the 1968 model year, UNLESS you ordered special, OR got a "loaded" optioned car! My Dad's car for what I know of it, from other family members said it wasn't heavily optioned that they know of, SO, I'm going with the more basic look of things interior-wise. SO, having said that, besides the black area in the dash, the door panels were pretty simply! A chrome strip that lead from doors edge, all the way to the back seat in the car! Simple enough BMF it! Chrome window winders, and chrome ash tray lids as well as chrome door latch (inside), and chrome door lock pins.
So with that, I got to looking to see what I may have had left-over BMF from past builds to try and use up as much of it as I could. (I try to use existing materials cause I'm CHEAP) Nahhhh it simply is difficult for me to get so..... LOL
Anyway, I got to working on the dash after the semi-gloss black was dry:

Yeah I laid it right on there! This is un-trimmed BMF! I took what I had in strips, and simply cut, with scissors down the length and then applied. I wasn't sure how it was going to lay out on the dash, and how much of that trim was going to show, nor how even wide it was going to need to be! BUT, it used up scraps of it that I had and not a whole lot of waist, a little BUT used up just about ALL of what scraps of BMF I had between the dash and door panels!

That same BMF trim all trimmed out and looks GREAT even tho it is in fact pieces I spliced together and then burnished down with a broken paint brush handle that has a soft taper on its end, no to "rip or tear the thin aluminum foil tape! Then once burnished down, lightly polished with a 100% cotton Q-Tip, for the shine! -I have yet to add the gauges and such which happen to be a decal on this build! They will be the next things I add to the dash! I will then do a little painting detail, on the dash, knobs etc..... The glove box will get the chrome head of a straight pin to look the part!
Then with those same BMF strips left-overs, I went right to adding that horizontal trim to the door panels!

Again, same thing! The BMF is spliced together as I went down the length.... Turns out, the way I originally cut the strips, was PERFECT to fit both the dash and the door panels! Very little trimming was needed on the door panels, The dash trim was a bit more narrow! But thats OK, was all scraps from at least 2 previous builds!
Thanks for looking more to come right after these short MOPAR messages...... Thanks for looking!

So once the dash and door panels had been sit aside I went right to seeing what the interior tub needed. The console top was needing finished, as far as if it got the wood grain effect, OR painted to match the dash, I choose to paint it to match the dash. As that would have been a basic part of the interior, unlike the wood grain "looks" I think was offered as an option, OR part of one, and in the more luxurious models of the same car. Dad's car however was pretty much a "Plain-Jane" in that way! I painted the wood grain area semi-gloss black, and left the chrome shine! Once painted, in-place it went, and glued to stay! I have yet to add the gear shift to the console, as was said to be a Automatic, on the floor (I'm not 100% sure of that) BUT, I went with it. As the car did not have a real kit-option to make auto on the tree, with the center console missing! -Which when I'm at that point, I'll be adding the gear shift to the enter console!

The front seats in-place as well!

I look at the pics and see a paint issue, the color! The front bucket seats are the exact same color as the center console as well as the rear bench seat. in the pic one time the rear seats look darker then the other, and then in another pic, the front seats look darker in that pic.... I think lighting and positioning are playing games as in-person, it all looks the same!
-Notice the seats sit just a skoosh higher then stock kit assembly? Those blocks I added raised them, just a little to look as tho they have seat mounts under then, WHICH adds yet another detailing possibility! I MAY add something as tho it slide out from under the seat, what that might be, I have yet to choose to what it be! LOL Who knows with me!
Thats it for the interior till more is done! Thanks for looking Comments welcome ~ENJOY!

Sat the interior aside, to dry, and to keep from things moving on me while glue dries.... I picked up the engine, and WOW, did it need some attention! Transmission needed painted, as well as the trany pan, and some details totally skipped over... For instance, starter wires and Alternator wiring.... These WILL be added! BUT I thought while I had the detailing painting going on, I may as well get 'er did!

Passenger-side view....

Drivers-side view....

Rear view....
Whole engine, block, oil pan, heads, valve covers, intake, timing chain cover, water pump, are of my casting! The transmission as well is my casting too! Thee only parts NOT my resin work, is BOTH exhaust manifolds, belts & pulleys, alternator, power steering pump, fan, & carburetor, are all glue bomb parts I had when I was building the engine to replace that 273 lookin' 318 in the beginning! The block was painted correctly for a LA 318 of the '68 model year, the transmission is painted with a mixture of paint I custom mix to look like raw Cast Iron, with a "steel" trany pan, thats Testors Steel. The valve covers? Testors Gloss black over-coated with Alclad 107 Chrome, and lightly polished, Carburetor is painted Testors Aluminum, and left alone!
All looks pretty good! The engine sits and awaits the mounting of its air cleaner.... that is painted painted gloss black as well!
This is it for now! Enjoy! More will follow as things get completed or while being completed! As always, Comments welcome!

With my last update, I was working on thinking things out on the engine, that I failed to add in the very beginning! This happens as that was one of my first when I came back into the hobby! SO, to keep on keepin' on, I sat it aside, all in the while thinking how I was now going to achieve this or that in the detail additions that the engine was lacking, at the same time, picking up on the interior, and getting somewhere besides in thought....
As you all that are following along have read, I had lastly added the chrome trim BMF to the door panels, BUT had much more to go! So, grabbing that parts sprue, and looking to see what my next task was going to be, WELL it needed painted! BUT I wanted to add some details to it before-hand. Meaning, I had some holes to drill..... The holes that a "chrome-like" straight pin was to slip through! These holes would be drilled in the cast-on detail of the door panel for the window winder knobs! The head of the straight pin to act as that "knob".... So, got them drilled rather quickly, and then went right to painting! Got all the window winders painted Testors "Chrome", as well as the door latch handles, and the ash tray lids! While the chrome paint was open, I went to painting the lever for the turn signal on the steering column, as well as the details on the dash! Knobs, and such. I had drilled a hole for the glove box door as well to insert a slightly smaller straight pin into to look as that "bulge in the door itself, to not have to paint it.... Sat the dash aside for a short time, and got pics of the door panels!

Looks dang good to me!
Then while that all sat a little, to dry more, I got out the Sand Tan again, and did a little brush painting, starting with the steering wheel! Got it did, and then right on to the chrome silver again, to the metal part inner "rim" of it, and then finished it off with semi-gloss black around the "handle" part of the steering wheel, and then got the horn also painted as well as the knob on the end of the turn signal lever.

Not to shabby over-all!

To show a little depth to the work I did....
Then was able to do a bit more to the dash at that time, to leave that door panel sprue set awhile to dry, I went right ahead and began adding the decal to the dash for the instrument cluster.....

Not bad! not bad at all! I'm pretty pleased with the dash as-is, I may go back in a day (to allow the decals to dry and cure) and add some clear epoxy to "seal" the decal to the dash.... and look like a glass type covering to it!
Once that was all done, I was able to move right into getting the interior door panels in-place. Passenger side first!

Noticed something taking that picture! I didn't paint the gear shift knob! Semi-Gloss Black as everything else as "trim" color, BESIDES "Chrome".... -Also noticed I have not got the automatic P, N, R, D, 1, 2 decal on the console while I was painting the shift knob, so got that taken care of too!

All in all that interior succeeds what my expectations were of it! I'm VERY happy with its out come as well as surprising myself and what I can do when I think it through just a little on what I want to achieve, (I never thought I was "all that" on doing interior work, I guess, I'm proving to myself something different as this looks GREAT!)
Thats in for now more to come as I get things done, comments welcome, ENJOY!

Looks Great!  I was going to suggest that the window cranks had a black knob with silver dot in the middle, but a quick internet search shows that in 68, they could be either.  My 71 had the black knobs.  I did that on mine to add a little more "color" to the interior.  You have inspired me to get some embossing powder for my next interior.  bought it and immediately lost it.  Hope it shows up soon.  I think the little badge on the seat backs may be metal? - may want to look it up as your sense of detail seems to be to get it right - I like that about this build.  Can't wait to see more as it comes together.

Randy

Thanks Randy! As for the window cranks, yes, you could get them both ways. the REAL Plain-Jane "basic" models had the black plastic (type) knobs....  Granted, I know Dads car wasn't heavily optioned, BUT I also know it wasn't something he got "brand new" either, he got it sometime in the mid 1980's.... SO, having said that, I could not tell you what it had for sure as I barely even remember the car.... Now, like MOST of the "Family builds" I'm doing, there isn't a lot to go from as far as pictures! I'm going off memory in some senses, and off family members remembering (their memories) of which ever car or truck....

Granted, thats not to say what was done and replaced either......  without good documentation, who really knows? And sadly, I can't just call Dad and ask him, (Lost him going on 4 years now) so..... I have but one pic of the car, and with it, I can barely see the top of the passenger seat to know the color of the interior was Tan.

So with a little "Modeler's License"........ I'm making as best I can, and trying to not fudge as much as I can, by research and or other ways of family members knowing and remembering the car!

As for the pleat in the seats, I'm not sure what that is! It may be a metal medallion, I am not sure... -Looking up pics however show that it could be, and then others show that it was one way with it being metal, or just a stitch pattern, used on seats that didn't have the metal medallion in them. SO with that, I am not exactly sure what that even is! Or I should say "was" in Dad's car....

Now, with knowing the car for the most part, was a plain jane with very little "extra" to it, I'd almost bet in this one, it was just the stitching..... -Almost like that to have a "plain" versus, one with the medallion on a higher optioned car, one seat fits all sort of deals.... -Makes me wonder now that you mention it LOL

Now, you think I'm "in it" on this one? Have a look at my "Father & Son" Dodge truck build.....

http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/101687-father-son-dodge-truck-build-new-progress-pics-2-7-16/

I'm in that one REAL DEEP! BOTH my truck in that I KNOW what it had, and Dad's truck too. They were relatively close, mine a '78 Dad's was a '79.... -I'll be adding some to that build in the next couple days too! -Working on the interior of the Dart, has the same colors almost as the truck did, so the "materials" are out and well, its been a while since I've done anything to Dad's truck due to some parts I was needing for it, to continue that I have now! So really, I'm going to be bouncin' all over the place on different builds I got going on, just to gain some completion on the many I got going, and by Summer's end, into Fall, I ought to have at least 2 maybe MORE "Done" and under glass!!!!! LOL -At least thats my plan and I'm stickin' to it! LOL

Randy, I forgot to mention that the embossing powder, is GREAT stuff! you can literally use it like paint! What I mean by that is this, you paint your "base color".... leaving the area's you want the embossing powder to be, uncovered! -Once the base color is dry elsewhere, tape it off as I did, and then brush the same color on HEAVILY, OR whatever color (this would be great time to say), tan sides, with black floor carpeting. then you'd use GLOSS black paint for the floor only because gloss takes longer to dry, and dump black embossing powder onto the wet paint, just as I did for this interior! Apply a little pressure to "seat" the embossing powder into the wet paint, and shake off excess onto paper return to original bottle!

BUT theres another trick..... You can literally brush paint one color starting out, cover IT with that color of embossing powder, apply normal pressure, let dry a bit, shake off, and then allow it to cure on ONE color...... Then areas you didn't paint, but want another color, apply it the same way with a brush..... Then dump that color embossing powder onto it, again press, tap off, and you'd have 2 different colors that look like carpet, or lining, anything "carpet-like" fabric even! 

Now. you really wanna get crazy? You could do the SAME THING, with "chalk dust"...... Buy artist chalks, and shave them with a single edge razor blade...  Use that the same way, you'd use the embossing powder! (it be finer and look more like fabric instead of carpeting!) -Intermix paint, embossing powder and chalk dust and you go from vinyl, or Pleather (LOL) to fabric, to carpet.... in one interior! -Don't even get me thinkin' on using all that with Flocking and Kens Fuzzy Fur!!!! LOL

Edited by 426-Hemi
I really can not type sometimes!!!