Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building an AMT Ertl 1968 Camaro Kit #6559

Hi,

I am building again and my first for a long time is an AMT Ertl 1968 Camaro Z/28 kit # 6559 released in 1989. I assume it is similar to the recent release. Anyone know of a build review?

I have it painted, I am mostly interested to know if the front and rear pans, as well as the radiator, can actually be installed before the body is installed on the chassis.

Thanks for any help.

David,

Given the number of views and the fact that no one has replied, maybe First Gen Camaros aren't as common as everyone thinks, at least in the modeling world. I have yet to build this kit, but it is on the short "to do" list after picking up Missing Links 68 Camaro Convertible body at the most recent NNL East. Of course, even when I do complete that, I won't be using the kit body. Maybe it's time to finally build the 67 Z-28 I tried and failed at a few years back. It was a classic case of Advanced Model Syndrome. I attempted to replace the AMT's chassis and power train with that of the far superior pieces from the Revell '69 Z-28 kit. Anyway when I do get a 67 or 68 Camaro built, I will share my experience here and bump this thread from the murky depths it will have sunk to by the time that happens.

Hi David,

I don't have the 68' Camaro kit but I have other AMT kits and most all of them can be built with those parts installed.

But too make sure, just mock-up the build with some masking tape, then check the fit. Hope this helps.

Good luck.

Ron

I think the '68 Camaro is a great kit. I am currently working on one. It is fine to mold in the front and read valance panels prior to paint. I cut out the firewall and inner fenders from the body and using the firewall and chassis from Revell '69 Camaro. I have also ordered the SS hood, RS grill package from Reliable Resin. This kit has tons of potential.

Thanks for your comments, gentlemen!

I am further along now and agree that the pans could be molded in before body/chassis assembly IF the chassis were trimmed slightly at the front. Another hint is to leave the radiator/shroud assembly and alternator/fan belt and pulley assembly off until after the chassis is installed.

Regards and thanks again,

Guest rick r
Thanks for your comments, gentlemen!

I am further along now and agree that the pans could be molded in before body/chassis assembly IF the chassis were trimmed slightly at the front. Another hint is to leave the radiator/shroud assembly and alternator/fan belt and pulley assembly off until after the chassis is installed.

Regards and thanks again,

I built one of each year of this kit years ago, it's a pleasant, simple kit that 'gives as much as it gets' quality-wise. Go ahead and attach the pans, then squeeze the front frame rails together to install the chassis. You might want to check the accuracy of the front pan, see if the horizontal seam is correct.

(Yeah, I write for car magazines and all that, and I oughta know these things, but I'm just not a Camaro guy...)

The 67 and 68 are actually the same kit, save the front grille.

That said, I have built the 67 and I ran into a couple tricky parts. First, its a real tight fit with the engine when it goes in under the body. The engine sits almost touching the forewall, and it took me fits to get it in.. I ended up having to remove the distributor, and glue it back on once the body, interior and chassis was all together.

I also recall having to build up the rear spring slightly so that the car did not drag in the tail.

Its not a kit that just falls together. This is the second one, which came out better than the first (which I don't have pictures of).

I actualy built 2...here is the Dana version I did thanks to Jason Rothbeb's donatin of parts :-)

RF_Dana-resized.jpg

Edited by Jeff Johnston

You got me thinking about cracking open an old stagnant project. This is the Camaro I started and then stalled.

CamaroDragCar1-vi.jpg

The front and rear pans always go on pre-paint when I do these. The radiator won't be a problem on this one, but the shroud on the stock build-ups I've done needed surgery.

CamaroDragCar4-vi.jpg

CamaroDragCar5-vi.jpg

CamaroDragCar8-vi.jpg

The more I look at these photos, the more I want to smack myself in the head for not keeping it going.