Model Cars Magazine Forum

Want to build a replica of my 67 Corvette

In 1968 I had a 1967 Corvette conv. and I would like to build a replica of it. It was a base model with 300 hp v8, ralley wheels, and side pipes. Red with black top and interior.

My questions are which 67 conv. to start with? There are 2 versions by Revell, but are they the same. Where can I get the ralley wheels and a base model 327 small block?

Possibilities I have seen are 67 Camaro or 67 Chevelle SS396 for the wheels and 64 Chevy low rider for the small block.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for you help.

The Revell '67 Coupe kit has the correct '67 Rally wheels you need, in addition to the '67 Chevelle.

Don't forget you'll need a small-block hood, too, unless you had one of those oddball cars with a small block that came through with the Stinger hood. Unless the aftermarket makes one, I don't know of any '65-'67 small block hood that fits the Revell Corvettes. There are several possible ways to solve this problem, all of which involve a certain amount of work. At least you don't have to come up with a '66 hood (with the emblem).

Shouldn't be too hard to come up with a good small block Chevy.

In 1968 I had a 1967 Corvette conv. and I would like to build a replica of it. It was a base model with 300 hp v8, ralley wheels, and side pipes. Red with black top and interior.

My questions are which 67 conv. to start with? There are 2 versions by Revell, but are they the same. Where can I get the ralley wheels and a base model 327 small block?

Possibilities I have seen are 67 Camaro or 67 Chevelle SS396 for the wheels and 64 Chevy low rider for the small block.

Any other suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for you help.

I am working on something similar. Either Revell '67 will work. If I were doing what you are doing, I would get a Revell '67 Coupe kit to swap out the wheels. I feel the best 327 in scale is from the Revell '64 Impala, even though it has the Powerglide, the 4 speed transmission and bell housing from the Corvette can be used. If you are able to get an AMT '65 or '66 Corvette Hood, you can get it to fit with some careful trimming.

If you are able to get an AMT '65 or '66 Corvette Hood, you can get it to fit with some careful trimming.

Those are rare these days, and it would be a shame to sand the emblems off an original '66 hood. But all hope is not lost. The hole in the blower hood from a common AMT '63 could be filled, or the vents and depressions in the stock hood from the same kit could be filled in. You could even combine parts from both hoods to come up with a nice '65 or '67 hood. And there are plenty of both hoods floating around "out there."

Great help guys. Guess I need to go Corvette shopping. And a 64 Chevy as well. I like the idea of using the 63 hood and filling in the fake vents.

Just fill them with something like epoxy or polyester resin that won't sink/shrink in the future.

That '64 engine might not match your '67 Corvette in things like valve covers, intake, carb, air cleaner, exhaust manifolds, and it sure won't have the ignition shield. But all that stuff should be available one place or the other. Can you post a pic of what your '67 engine looked like? I've got a bunch of C2 Corvette extra parts and might be able to help out with details if I know what you're looking for. I might even be able to spare one of those '63 hoods.

What color was your car?

Edited by Snake45

Snake, I wish I had pictures of the engine. Only a snapshot of the interior and one 3/4 front. I looked at the 64 Chevy instructions and the engine should work. Mine was a base model 300hp so everything was painted except the air cleaner. It had those valve covers with the raised rectangular area in the center and a decal there. It also had the ram style exhaust manifolds so I think the only missing piece will be the ignition shield. Thanks for your interest.

Don