Model Cars Magazine Forum

2016 Cannonball (Aussieball) Completed Builds Thread

TFchronos

Here's the place for all of our intrepid cannonballers to post their completed builds for this year's cbp.

This year we chose a Off-Road theme held in the land from down under, beautiful Australia. Builds this year are loosely restricted to Australian road laws, no make or model restrictions, really just needing to be capable of both on and off road travel.  

So without further ado, lets get our completed builds photographed and posted here. Remember guys, the folks on the forum will vote based on how well you represent your model, so find a way to take some decent photos. A piece of non-shiny poster board as a back drop, some decent lighting and something to steady the camera will do wonders.

I would like to quickly cover a couple of ground rules here. One is this thread is only intended for the folks who have entered the cbp here: 2016 Cannonball (Aussieball) Builld Thread

Any randoms will be removed or not counted period.

To anyone who would like to leave any ataboys and good jobs please leave them in the above mentioned build thread or in the individual Under Glass threads I'm sure will be posted in the coming days.

This thread here is for the builders to post their finished models only. 

And lastly while I will try to keep diligent track of who finishes their build I would like to say if you don't get your entry posted here I cannot guarantee I wont miss yours when making the poll thread, so please make sure you get your entry posted here.

Thank you

Edited by TFchronos

My Land Cruiser entry kept the drivetrain mostly stock as these vehicles have proven themselves off-road capable, although I did add propane injection to help with fuel economy on the stretches where it might be tough to get fuel. I also added a fabricated top-mounted intercooler and fabricated a more efficient air filter box as the stock units are notoriously restrictive.

I added an additional fuel tank and sealed the fuel door and added dual quick fill fuel inlets to the side of the truck. I fabricated the off road jack, and both bumpers, clevis on the rear bumper and the winch on the front. The winch was all bits and parts from the parts bin except the rollers on the front which came from the kit bumper. The lights were fabricated as well from styrene channel and beads.

The snorkel was fabricated except for the inlet at the top. I just didn't like the body from the unit I bought. There's more but enough words, I hope you enjoy looking at it as much as I did building it.

Land Cruiser Front Angle.jpg

Land Cruiser Front Corner.jpg

Land Cruiser Full Rear.jpg

Land Cruiser Full Side 1.jpg

Land Cruiser Interior.jpg

Land Cruiser Chassis Shot.jpg

Land Cruiser Engine Shot.jpg

Edited by MeatMan

• 4 weeks later...

Your Land Cruiser came out great Dennis !

Here's my Perth Perch

Number 6 on your program, Number One in your hearts lol

It started almost a year ago with this...

Added more frame work where needed and took out some floor where it wasn't needed..

Got these beautiful wheel / tire combo from Chief Joseph at FireBall model works

Outfitted the interior with CB, and laptop with cordless keypad...flipped the dash to RHDrive

Had alot of fun building this one

Windshield tearoffs, no wipers

Like I said, Lots of fun,..can't wait to start next years..

Cheers all you Aussie Ballers out there!!

Awesome builds guys. I got mine done. 1950 Chevrolet 3100 with a 427 from the 1969 Nova. Dana 44s and 35" Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. Nicknamed the Sergeant, it has sergeant badges sewn into the headrests. Lights, huge gas tank, extra gas storage, tools, and recovery gear. It has a scratch built Warn M8274 winch and many other mods. I loved building it and I'm already looking forward to next year's Cannonball.

image.thumb.jpeg.9131af845ffa12b879fdeafimage.thumb.jpeg.c80eff8d96cdd4b11f6b73cimage.thumb.jpeg.a6c52d56a83a729b76c0891image.thumb.jpeg.46aae8e5d9ae1e589683f43image.thumb.jpeg.6502424edf0291d9047d676image.thumb.jpeg.123921132d46d8dcc324d65image.thumb.jpeg.2ad8a475abd2ca4723a5179

Thanks for looking.

Jay

Edited by Jay's Customs

Great builds everyone.

This my entry for this year Cannonball run.

It is a 1971 Plymouth Duster I used parts from a Revell Jeep Wrangler Rubicon kit and some parts I had
lying around. Engine is a 440 Magnum with some added parts and everything else i need is in the trunk.

photo DSC00739_zpszbu4qi0e.jpg

photo DSC00746_zpssw2u4rcg.jpg

photo DSC00742_zpsrrte1c4g.jpg

photo DSC00740_zpsxij5korc.jpg

photo DSC00741_zpslwyya8cw.jpg

photo DSC00743_zps4v5jghft.jpg

photo DSC00748_zpsi5ystshs.jpg

Canuck Blazer SS

This 1972 Chevy Blazer has been heavily updated to modern 2016 standards to compete in the AussieBall run thru the Outback. Most of the modifications are of a digital nature to provide instant performance data and for communication thru a satellite link mounted atop the cargo rack, yet it also carries a traditional CB radio. Under the hood is a 400 c.i. SBC fitted with off road accessories such as a sealed air box, a heavy duty radiator with an oil cooler mounted underneath, performance oil breather system, and a sealed battery box. The engine has been blue printed with aluminium heads, a Holley Double Pumper, custom headers & exhaust. In addition the brake m/c has been moved to the RHD position, as was the steering box.

The body has been modified to allow for an upgraded off road suspension and wheels. The total lift is a scale five inches with two inch body lift and three inch suspension lift. The body was stripped of all trim, had flares added and wheel wells enlarged. The three gas filler caps are for the saddle tanks and the stock one. To ensure a full rear view, a set of Westcoast mirrors have been installed. On the passenger side a snorkel system has been installed to provide fresher air for the engine. The custom cargo rack has a set of tools, antenna mounts, a water jerry can, a satellite up-link dish, room for additional supplies, licence plate holder and a set of back up/work lights.

The interior features a custom roll cage that is attached to the Blazer's frame.   Up front the entire cockpit has been modified for right hand drive. The Ferrari competition seats are attached to the roll cage as is the cargo rack on top of the canopy. Inside the cage are the dual spare wheels and tool crib with tire tools stored underneath it. The rear bed also has dual fuel cell saddle tanks and a mounted water jerry can. The dash has been modified with quick release panels replacing the glove box, central stack, and driver instruments. It features digital touch control screens, GPS, analog instruments, and a link to the laptop mounted between the seats.

The frame has been fitted with a front mounted winch, along with the necessary Roo Bar to protect the front of the Blazer. In addition a stone guard protects the front drivetrain from rocks and boulders. Outriggers to mount the roll cage were welded to the top of the chassis and a custom rear bumper was installed with tow hooks underneath. 

The exterior colour and decals provide the canvas for the Canadian markings, reminiscent of training aircraft from the 1940s. To help escape close scrutiny the markings indicate this to be a test or research vehicle, fleet unit #18, to disguise its AussieBall Competition entry. The Blazer also features small SS markings on the hood sides to indicate its performance roots. On the rear canopy window are travel decals from Illinois and Minnesota. Product decals are kept to a minimum to escape notice.

Overall the aim was to build a vehicle that would be competitive and safe, utilizing modern technology, and still appear to be rather innocent and ordinary on the road, at least as ordinary as one can be travelling across the Outback! The build was a challenge and with this year's theme made the Cannonball Run much more interesting.

Wishing all competitors good luck and safe travel!
Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

UPDATE FROM THE INSIDE OF THE OUTBACK

Its been a close competition, thankfully all of us are in the running though judging by the chatter on the ole CB there have been close calls with roving herds of kangaroos. That has held up some of the contestants on the route. Must hand it to Belugwrx and Jake's building skills in putting together a real fast entry, the chassis just floats over the terrain at top speed!!! Been close on his tail, eating his dust all the way! Thank goodness for the snorkel. It's been a battle between two Chevies and two Canucks all the way... Though I suspect Jake's doing all the driving ?

We're getting close to the finish line, so it's very crucial that we all get that extra kick to get us there. If you haven't voted, please take a moment to do so on the voting thread.

Cheers Misha

image.jpeg

Edited by Misha
spelling