Model Cars Magazine Forum

Purple power questions

Sorry if this was already spoken before by someone else. However I need some help, I have been soaking a styrene spoon that was painted and cleared with testers one coat lacquer for about a week in purple power inside a lidded metal pot and no paint has come off whatsoever. I stored the pot in my garage with is like 55 degrees (Fahrenheit) so it's probably too cold. I painted the spoon back in march this year and bought the purple power in June I think. I moved the pot into my basement which is like ten degrees warmer but can anyone tell me why this isn't working?

Did you prime first?

When I strip lacquers with Super Clean, I've found that it is ineffective on the lacquer itself but dissolves the primer making the lacquer come off in sheets.

It's my understanding that Purple Power is not as powerful as Super Clean as well.

I've found that putting a few scratches in the surface of the paint will allow the Super clean to penetrate to the primer & produces results much faster.

Keeping the solution warm is helpful as well.

I've stripped multi-coat Duplicolor paint jobs with Super Clean & while it can sometimes take a while to work, it WILL take off the the lacquer.

I have had problems with it completely removing the primer at times, but never the paint.

And yes, get it in a plastic container.

Steve