Model Cars Magazine Forum

testors paint question

I thought your question was interesting so I looked it up. This is my understanding. The symbol # has always been known as a hash. It's also called the pound sign, number sign and an octothorpe (how 'bout that one) . Now it is used in social media applications like Twitter and Instagram to "tag" terms that are being searched in order to find them easier hence the term "hashtag". So technically I just removed the hash when I searched 1117. Sometimes you have to search several different ways but in the end Google knows everything. I'll count this as having learned something new today. 

Edited by JerseyRed

I thought your question was interesting so I looked it up. This is my understanding. The symbol # has always been known as a hash. It's also called the pound sign, number sign and an octothorpe (how 'bout that one) . Now it is used in social media applications like Twitter and Instagram to "tag" terms that are being searched in order to find them easier hence the term "hashtag". So technically I just removed the hash when I searched 1117. Sometimes you have to search several different ways but in the end Google knows everything. I'll count this as having learned something new today. 

Yes, that is true - "#" has been used long before computers and "hash" is one of its names. It was (and still is) even used on the TouchTone telephone keypad along with the "splat" or asterisk. But like I mentioned, when I see it, the first thing that comes to my mind is that it indicates that the following number is some sort of part number. Or from my Unix background a hash symbol indicates that the rest of the line in a script is a comment (ignored).  The "tag"meaning for me is far, far behind those. But I don't use Twitter or Instagram, so that's my excuse. I do know what hash tags are - they're just no something that first pops into my mind.