Model Cars Magazine Forum

My family name is "Lutz" 

this was Bill Lutz in 1957 in a Olds 88 Convertible together with Lee Petty and Ralph Earnhardt

and in my family genealogy tree i have a lot of Lutz´ those emigrated to US ... p.e. in Geneva, NB, Pekin, IL, San Francisco CA, Atlanta GE, Stone Mountain GE, Boise ID and other places .... 

Of course Bill Lutz was from Kentucky ... but he was the only driver in NASCAR with my family name ... 

In that way .... one of my next projects will be to built these scene:

with these four cars in 1960 Daytona race: 

´60 Starliner #44 Bill Lutz
´59 Impala #67 David Pearson
´60 Catalina #63 Whitey Gerken
´59 Impala #76 Larry Frank

Cars can be made from the AMT Starliner, Revell Impala and Trumpeter Bonneville (AMT Promo kit isnt available in Europe) kits and decals by aftermarket manufacturing ...

But my primary question goes to the body colors of the cars?

I found a picture of the Pearson Impala (same year other sponsor) = this car is red

Anybody knews the colors of the other three cars?   

thanx 4your efforts

This is going to be a really cool looking project. Can't wait to see it done. The three all look white, but it would seem there are guys around that would be able to give you exact details. Not just body color but colors of the numbers etc. It might take some extensive research to find them but I would bet they're out there. Just a matter of how correct you want to make the scene.

in 1961 season Larry Frank drove a Impala i think in GM genuine color - shine as a dark silver metallic, may be Sateen Silver - a color still exist at the Chevrolet color chart in 1960 also, the numbers were in red

i mean that #44 Starliner body color was polar (darker) white, with middle blue stripes on roof and rear and the numbers were orange

the #63 Catalina may be in alpin (lighter) white and numbers were yellow 

sponsor letters at #67 car in white, at the other 3 cars in black and the letters "Thor Chevrolet" on #76 car black with red shapes

But i´ m not sure? 

See, I would have guessed that the #76 is in an orange shade, it looks lighter than red to me. Much like the #44 car. The #63 does look yellow. It's really tough to determine the different shades of white from a single black and white photo. Especially with the sun light and shadows being what they are. You may also want to post this in the NASCAR forum where maybe somebody will have firsthand knowledge of the cars and drivers your looking for. I wish I could help more.

Thanx Guys,

i ve collected more than 8000 pictures inside a data sheet Lotus Approach, but it´s very hard to find color pictures of stock cars from darkside era in 1960´s ....

I ve wrote same question inside Randy Ayers NASCAR Forum and also inside american board Stock Car Racers Reunion (David Pearson is a member of that board) ... but nobody knews the right colors until now.   

Whitey Gerken drove also at ARCA (former MARC) stock car series with white or blue chevys;

David Pearson´s car also run with red body and white roof;

with compliments

I can't add any info on this subject as I know nothing about it, but you may want to do a little more research on the #63 Pontiac in the photo.

Sure looks to be a '59 to me.

The double tail fins give it away.

If this is the case, replicating it will require either a resin replica, or an original annual.

Steve

I just found this photo of the Whitey Gerken car.

Definitely a '59.

hrdp-1205-history-of-when-stock-cars-nas

Edited by StevenGuthmiller

Dear Steven,

Ya ... thats right! It´s a 59 Pontiac (also information at racing reference and ultimate racing history) at this picture the double fins seen clearly.

Now i have a problem!

´59 Ponitiacs model kits in scale 1/25 (1/24) are very rare ....

Aurora kit 565-198 come a 59 Pontiac Convertible

AMT kit 139 also a 59 Pontiac Bonneville 3 in 1 Hardtop or Convertible

both too expensive and not payable rather not to find ....

https://youtu.be/pzDz2lu0Z6s not the best quality, but you might catch a glimpse of something useful. Colour film from the 1960 season. The 1960 Daytona race was historic for a few reasons. It was the first ever televised race (CBS).  As the link shows, it had possibly the largest ever Nascar crash. It was also marked as the slowest Nascar race. I do wish you luck in finding a color reference for your build.