Model Cars Magazine Forum

What is the point...

James2

All my life I've switched back and forth between model airplanes and cars. I'll build one for several years, then the other. Sometimes I'll have a few of each going at the same time. I gotta say, I've been pretty much exclusive to cars since I joined this board. Model Airplane Nerds and Model Car Nerds have completely different approaches and attitudes. The former are obsessed with historical accuracy and detail; the latter are more into creativity and especially FUN. The older I get, the less interested I am in whether I have the right number of rivets on the Johnson rod and the more interested I am in "Does it look good?" B)

I love you guys. B)

All my life I've switched back and forth between model airplanes and cars. I'll build one for several years, then the other. Sometimes I'll have a few of each going at the same time. I gotta say, I've been pretty much exclusive to cars since I joined this board. Model Airplane Nerds and Model Car Nerds have completely different approaches and attitudes. The former are obsessed with historical accuracy and detail; the latter are more into creativity and especially FUN. The older I get, the less interested I am in whether I have the right number of rivets on the Johnson rod and the more interested I am in "Does it look good?" B)

I love you guys. B)

The Johnson Rod :o......Lol

We Love you too Snake

"RASS"

All my life I've switched back and forth between model airplanes and cars. 

I have tried a plane or two but to no avail. And while I have seen and heard many arguments about them, I find them very interesting. The techniques used to build planes seem opposite to building cars, IMO. I do enjoy a nice WWI plane!

The techniques used to build planes seem opposite to building cars, IMO. 

The techniques aren't what I'd call "opposite," but there are definitely different skillsets (and mindsets) involved. I'm amazed at how intimidated Model Airplane Guys are at the thought of doing a car, and vice-versa. I have a pretty good grasp of both skillsets at this point, and often use "model car techniques" on an airplane, and vice-versa, which can sometimes put me a cut above.

Actually, there are really very few "new" modeling techniques or skills in either area. If you look into it, you'll find that Model Railroad Guys pioneered most modeling skills decades ago--back in the '50s, '40s, maybe even pre-WWII.

The techniques aren't what I'd call "opposite," but there are definitely different skillsets (and mindsets) involved. I'm amazed at how intimidated Model Airplane Guys are at the thought of doing a car, and vice-versa. I have a pretty good grasp of both skillsets at this point, and often use "model car techniques" on an airplane, and vice-versa, which can sometimes put me a cut above.

Actually, there are really very few "new" modeling techniques or skills in either area. If you look into it, you'll find that Model Railroad Guys pioneered most modeling skills decades ago--back in the '50s, '40s, maybe even pre-WWII.

My explanation would be, you build a car model from the outside, and planes build from the inside out!

I think of this as an expanded model club that meets 24 hours a day, every day. You can talk shop, catch up on the latest tips and techniques or just rant about anything else in the Off-Topic area. It's a place where (mostly) like minded folks can get together and show off or comment on others models. It is a place where the hobby we all enjoy is appreciated. This place gives us access to advice, parts and entire kits that we might not otherwise come across. The knowledge that is online at any given time is immense. We have everything from the old pros, that have been there and done that,  to the newest builders, that look at everything with a fresh perspective.

I think Michael said it best.... and thats why I'm here also..  and I have also found some friends along the way..... some that I only see once or twice a year at the model car shows and swap meets..! and some I only know here on the forum and have never met....  It's like a NNL in your house....!!

I think Michael said it best.... and thats why I'm here also..  and I have also found some friends along the way..... some that I only see once or twice a year at the model car shows and swap meets..! and some I only know here on the forum and have never met....  It's like a NNL in your house....!!

X2

I like the notion expressed that this is a 24/7 model club meeting. You can stop by anytime you want, and stay as long as you want, show off your latest project, tell a joke or two.

I also appreciate the encyclopedic knowledge available here. Whatever you're searching for, whether it be technical info, kits and parts, etc etc, there's *always* someone here with the answer. I cannot keep track of how many times I've asked for help, and someone here always bails me out.

in short, I can always count on you guys....