Model Cars Magazine Forum

55 Chevy Two Lane Blacktop

donkeychomp

Hi everyone, I'm new here but have been modelling for ages. Mainly cars, bikes and sci-fi. I felt compelled to join after starting my own 55 Chevy build and seeing Fuel Coupe's pictures of his car. 

I had no option but to use the Revell (ahem) 'Street Machine' kit as that is all I could find over here in England. So far I've removed all the clutter from the rear end, smoothed off some of the lines on the front wings (fenders?) and managed to cut out the boot (trunk) and remove the bonnet (hood) for that flip front effect. All this without cutting off a finger too! I then added a little tab to the rear end so the boot will sit neatly back in the car. The wheels that come with the car are wrong and I know I need Daisy Cutters but they are, of course, only available in the States and the postage is crippling so they can wait. 

I've added the pics so far and the last two models I made, a McLaren MP4 and a Kawasaki Z900.

Alex

WP_20170218_001.jpg

WP_20170218_002.jpg

WP_20170218_003.jpg

WP_20170218_004.jpg

WP_20170218_005.jpg

WP_20170218_006.jpg

The wheels that come with the car are wrong and I know I need Daisy Cutters but they are, of course, only available in the States and the postage is crippling so they can wait.

I wouldn't worry about them, because the 2LB Chevy is a sedan and this model is a hardtop with completely different rear quarters and roof, so you can't make an accurate model of the 2LB car out of it anyway. Use the closest wheels you can find, or whatever kind of wheels suits your mood, and drive on with a "2LB-ish" or "2LB-inspired" build. And while you're at it, don't be afraid to change anything else you want to "make it your own." I'm doing exactly that with a '55 build, making it the way I want it to look but with obvious heavy 2LB flavor or inspiration.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, those wheels are just called "Daisies." I think "daisy cutter" is a term referring to some type of bomb. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will correct me. B)

I wouldn't worry about them, because the 2LB Chevy is a sedan and this model is a hardtop with completely different rear quarters and roof, so you can't make an accurate model of the 2LB car out of it anyway. Use the closest wheels you can find, or whatever kind of wheels suits your mood, and drive on with a "2LB-ish" or "2LB-inspired" build. And while you're at it, don't be afraid to change anything else you want to "make it your own." I'm doing exactly that with a '55 build, making it the way I want it to look but with obvious heavy 2LB flavor or inspiration.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken, those wheels are just called "Daisies." I think "daisy cutter" is a term referring to some type of bomb. If I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone will correct me. B)

correct.

the 2LB Chevy is a 55 150 I believe.But don't let that discourage from building as close to the 2LB Chevy as you can.I'm building the American Graffiti Bob Falfa's 55 Chevy (which is actually the same car as the 2LB ) out of the AMT 55 Street Machine which is not the same 55 but close enough for me. Build on and can't wait to see how it turns out.

I did a little more tonight, mainly the bonnet scoop. Using the high tech CAD method (cardboard aided design) and the first attempt was too tall and too wide. Attempt #2 looks a lot better. When it's finished and I have the dimensions right I'll make one out of fibreglass and plastic. Then there's that engine that comes with the kit. The only obvious thing I can see is that the fan belt is not set at a right angle as in the film car. So I'll make something up so it does, and there are, of course, no carbs so once again something will be fabricated. Toying with the idea of making the doors open as well and adding sliding windows. 

One question...does anyone know the make of the battery that sits in the boot? Would be a nice added touch to have a decal on it.

WP_20170220_001.jpg

WP_20170220_002.jpg

WP_20170220_003.jpg

WP_20170220_004.jpg

WP_20170220_006.jpg

WP_20170220_007.jpg

A couple of strips forming a B pillar would make it look more like a sedan. The 55 chevy 150 & 210 make great gassers, we need them in a kit. AMT made a 55 chevy 2 dr post years past.

Not really, because the entire roof and rear quarters are completely different between hardtop and sedan.

I do agree with Snake on the body shape, the rear quarters are slighty fatter and more curved on my model but like I said it's not 100% accurate. 

A little more done, the bonnet scoop is finished and sits pretty much spot on as far as I can tell. I've removed a lot of clutter from inside the bonnet but not too much as I will have to make a spaceframe and mount it somewhere to enable the front to flip open. Made some cardboard B strips and then used those to make some plastic ones and they are now glued in. And the battery is done, albeit minus a decal. I will make a mounting strap and use some spare tubing from a bike model to make the earth leads.

WP_20170221_001.jpg

WP_20170221_002.jpg

WP_20170222_001.jpg

WP_20170222_002.jpg

WP_20170222_003.jpg

WP_20170222_004.jpg

WP_20170222_005.jpg

WP_20170222_006.jpg

WP_20170222_007.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Done a little more work. I've trimmed back some of the front of the chassis and am making up the firewall. A friend has a 3D printer so I'm hoping he can replicate some parts for me, namely the bonnet scoop!

I also had a bit of luck as a 55 Chevy Nomad kit popped up on Ebay here, never seen one before. It has been started (just the engine) but it will have lots of parts I can use plus it has those Daisy wheel with tyres!  Sadly not Firestone tyres but you can't win them all!

WP_20170224_002.jpg

WP_20170224_003.jpg

WP_20170304_001.jpg

WP_20170304_002.jpg

Looking good Alex, I'm working on one also. I'm going to use the 427 and chassis from a Monogram '66 Chevelle kit. The '55 Bel Air and '66 Chevelle have the same wheelbase plus it has the flip nose parts I can use for the '55 as well. I did take some of the thickness out of the "C" pillar as well as Monograms is way to thick. Can't wait to see how yours progresses. Keep us posted.

55.jpg

Edited by Geno

The Monogram '55 C-pillar is "way too thick" because it's correct for a hardtop, not the 2DS that the 2LB car is. They really are completely different cars from the firewall back--no common sheetmetal at all unless it would be the trunk lid and/or the rear pan.

I will keep everyone posted Geno! The other kit arrived today and it wasn't what I expected really. There isn't much I can use apart from a couple of chrome bits, maybe the engine but I can't tell if it's all there yet! The chassis is slighty too narrow to fit my body but it has given me some ideas about how to make up some front coils. Best bit is those wheels with tyres, the entire kit cost me £10, maybe $14, to import wheels alone from the US would be $20 + taxes. I had to take them apart and remove the chrome with bleach, then they got primed and sprayed in silver, looks good to me. The rears are slicks and in theory they should be in the boot, but for now this will do (unless someone has a pair of wheels/tyres they don't need?).

Next step will be to make the front suspension. Stay tuned!

WP_20170306_001.jpg

WP_20170306_002.jpg

WP_20170306_003.jpg

WP_20170306_004.jpg

WP_20170306_006.jpg

WP_20170306_007.jpg

Cheers! Had a small issue with a front wheel, they are in two small parts but it was missing one. I tried drilling out a spare...that didn't work lol, so I tried cutting a large part in half and that worked and all the wheels are as they should be. Whilst I had the scalpel and files out I made a start on the rear quarters, not perfect yet but getting there. And then that suspension...I need to fit the rear leaf springs and wheels so I can then judge the ride height, out with the bleach to strip some chrome and as I type the parts needed have been painted and are drying.

Oh, that non-model pic. Yes I build on a 1/1 scale as well!

WP_20170307_003.jpg

WP_20170307_004.jpg

WP_20170307_005.jpg

WP_20170307_006.jpg

WP_20170307_007.jpg

WP_20170307_008.jpg

WP_20170307_010.jpg

WP_20170307_011.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Little bit more done. I've reworked the rear quarters and they look a lot better. The bonnet is now in one piece and that got filled and sanded back. Still trying to get the rear wheel height spot on, it's not far off now.

My friend with the 3D printer has made a bonnet scoop from my original design and I should have that in a day or two!

WP_20170313_047.jpg

WP_20170316_014.jpg

WP_20170316_015.jpg

Cheers Geno!

The bonnet scoop arrived, the detail on it is amazing, even has the rivets that mount it to the bonnet. I painted it in alluminium and then noticed the markings on the top, they weren't visible before, so a little bit of flatting back will cure that. I do apologise at how slowly this is progressing, for example I ordered two tiny hinges to flip the front end over a month ago...and I'm still waiting, and of course sourcing small parts that I need on Ebay is taking time. I have found some carbs, the roll cage I will be making from scratch though, and probably the front suspension too...

...some pics

WP_20170320_001.jpg

WP_20170320_002.jpg

WP_20170320_003.jpg

WP_20170320_004.jpg

WP_20170320_005.jpg

WP_20170320_006.jpg