Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model Museum, Scams and thoughts

When I retire in a year and a half or so (I hope!!)...one of my projects is to open a model museum (Worlds in Miniature). Nothing real fancy, just a place to have the monthly club meetings, a research area, some good CD of contests/shows and a great bunch of models for people to look at (free of charge). I think it would be a great place for model collections to end up instead of the dump!!!!

I started planning this about five years ago and saving money for it. I announced it on another web site and while I got support for it, several people had to tell me how hard it would be and it would be a waste of time.

I didn't ask for donations, as a matter of fact I will not accept money, I have paid for every item sent to me and I still buy built/unbuilt kits (admittedly at low prices to conserve money). I could fail and the museum may never open. I may have to work a few extra years with our changing economy and just use my 1,200 square foot basement for a while instead of a building. I have warned people about this when I talk to them.

I have a collection of 749 kits of all types that I have built. A good start. Relax, I am not asking you to send anything or sell me anything. I just want you to understand my motivation and think about how synical (can't spell) we may become about others dreams.

The point is that I want to do this. I may fail. It is a dream not a scam. Is there a difference? I think so. Maybe, I can get you to think about how much fun it would be to visit a museum devoted to models....even if that is all I do.....mission accomplished!

:blink: Bob, not to rain on anyones parade, but I think a fella by the name of Dean Milano tried this exact same thing.It was called the "Model Car and Toy Museum" if I remember correctly. It was located in Illinoise I think.But any how It didn't last too long.I don't really know if the crowd draw is there. We are a small group as compared to other hobbies. I like to think maybe someday another place like "the Model Car Museum" in Salt Lake City may open up but for now I think were lucky to have it :o

It might be a good idea to contact Dean or Mark and ask what works and didn't work in their endeavors. You might be thinking of too limited of a market. I could see a museum of miniatures; open to a much wider audience, expanding out to include model railroad, doll houses, military, and ships. I'm attempting to do something similar here on the island. There aren't enough model car/truck builders to form any type of a club, so I'm starting a miniaturist's guild, that will include all forms of modelers. It's interesting to see how much we have in common. Remember also, that there's strength in numbers. Including others gives a much better chance of finding that "golden" person who has connections to the right building and funds. The museum itself will be a draw in it's own right, but think of how much more interest can be gained by including areas where people can display their own work. This not only shows the hobby in it's infancy, but also shows where it's gone and what we've learned from it. I'm a retired history teacher, and one of the things that has bothered me about museums is their way of showing the past as disconnected from now and the future. What you might consider is to show how they are connected, and what service they provided. I think you've got a great idea, and I'd like to see you succeed. Go for it. There's no such thing as failure; there's only do or don't do.

Thank you for your replies, I think you have missed the point. This is not for a business or to make a profit. I know it will lose money and no one is going to drive hundreds of miles to make it a vaction spot. It is just for fun and for a place to get me out of the house.

It will include any type (wood, metal, resin) or scale of model I can get. Including railroad (they make entire towns!!).

I have been to the Salt Lake museum years ago. They had a very nice thing going.

Edited by Robert Myers

Good luck,Robert.I think it's a great idea,and I hope you're able to turn your dream into reality.I live in Pocatello also,and I'm sure I'll be a regular visitor if you're able to get this off the ground. I just checked your profile and it says that you are 99 years old(can this be right?).If this is this is true,I'm amazed that you still have a year and a half before can retire!!!!As far as I'm concerned,anyone who is still trying to make a dream come true (or anything else)at 100 years old,is allright with me.What do you attribute your longevity to(model building,maybe)?If I can ever be of any help,let me know.

Good luck,Robert.I think it's a great idea,and I hope you're able to turn your dream into reality.I live in Pocatello also,and I'm sure I'll be a regular visitor if you're able to get this off the ground. I just checked your profile and it says that you are 99 years old(can this be right?).If this is this is true,I'm amazed that you still have a year and a half before can retire!!!!As far as I'm concerned,anyone who is still trying to make a dream come true (or anything else)at 100 years old,is allright with me.What do you attribute your longevity to(model building,maybe)?If I can ever be of any help,let me know.

I sent you a message about our local model club.

I see nothing wrong with it....like you said, its for when you retire right? It gives you something to do and model cars is something you love...just don't expect a million visitors and some days, nobody will show up and other days, your busy as bee!

I know of people that have such a similar setup..one collects old farm tractors, another one has old car parts & cars...none of them are in it for money at all..they just enjoy sharing their experiences and talking about it to others...even school groups check it out and they enjoy telling & showing the younger kids what its all about.

These cool guys have the time to do this and spend long enjoyable hours building it piece by piece often with friends that share the same interests as they do. Its a great place to hang out and lots of valueable infor is passed around too. Theres always something cool going on!

I see where your going with your idea and its a cool one too! I have been building models for over 42 years and have a huge collection of kits, parts, tools magazines..it would be great to share it with others as I feel building model cars & trucks is a dying art. I also am into HO trains, diecast vehicles, military vehicles, '60s GI Joes so, I understand what you mean!

Your not going to go out of business on this one cause its all yours and your investment and the good it will do sure will overcome any bad! As you mention, its something to get you out the house and it also keeps you young too! ;) I think its great and really wish you the best in it..hope you do decide to go for it and keep us updated too! Good luck! :(

~ Jeff

Edited by Jello

When I retire in a year and a half or so (I hope!!)...one of my projects is to open a model museum (Worlds in Miniature). Nothing real fancy, just a place to have the monthly club meetings, a research area, some good CD of contests/shows and a great bunch of models for people to look at (free of charge). I think it would be a great place for model collections to end up instead of the dump!!!!

Hey Robert- Sounds like a great idea, as long as you're aware of the fact that it will consistently lose money and very few people will be interested in it.

My museum lasted 3 years. I had a great time, met lots of wonderful people and have no regrets. One of the most fun things I ever did.

Dean

www.toys-n-cars.com

I made a trip out to Dean Milano's museum after seeing what seemed like years of his ad in the model mags. We live in cedar rapids, iowa (three hours from the museum). I was not disapointed. It was amazing! He had built and displayed almost every model car/truck available. He also sold some rare and hard to finds in the front of the store for sale.(I bought a mustang svo). I mentioned it to my wife and she out of the blue said "lets go" (she normally pays no attention to modeling feelings.) and we went. She looked at all the displays with me and I think was also amazed that someone else really had more of a collection than I. I could have browsed all day, my wife was very patient.

When we got back to the front Dean got down the svo and let me look it over and my wife, to my suprise said "well you've been looking for it and they don't make it anymore so you better buy it" And with that she turned and continued to look at some antique toys he also had on display in the front. Now that it is closed I am so glad that we went and were able to witness something so rare and cool, I will never forget it. I dream of building enough displays for my own collection.

I think big poppa is on to something. Our LHS only has a small display for client show and tells(model club) but of the shops i've visited the owners never seem to build or display their own work. Of course museum space takes up valuable retail space I'm sure they would say.

I seems like having a museum is like building a bar in your basement or garage. Only your friends will visit but know they will appreciate it more than the local bars by far.

Hard? waste of time? nah, they must not have been real model builders. DO IT! we will come, unless you live in that dang beautiful hawaii, jet fuel is so pricey. :D

Edited by supernaturalone

As long as you realize the fact that you'll be losing money, and that visitors will be very few and far between, go for it!

It's your time and money...if a museum of your own is what floats your boat, have at it!

But Pocatello, Idaho? I wonder how many people even know where Pocatello, Idaho is??? :D

I say go for it!

I'm a pretty new soul in this world, and a few years back i came to the point when it was time to choose what carreer i was gonna go for in life, i have and had allways dreamed of becoming a bodyworksman and work with hotrods and stuff of the sorts, but i let people piss on my dream, (mostly my parents) and so i didnt go for it, wasting my chance by not learning stuff and picking up education in the area.

This is one of my biggest regrets so far in life, because in spite of what everybody (mostly my parents) said, my dream did not die, and i have realized that it was not a stupid idea, and i actually would still want to be a proffessional sheetmetal worker.

But as it looks now it is most likely i will be a truckdriver instead, and it feels like ######, not to be a trucker, the proffesion actually appeals to me, but that i will be so just because "they" said so and i let them get to me.

Most people dont understand the phenomena of dreaming, or doing what you want with your life, they just kinda "do what they are supposed to", check in, work, check out, eat, sleep, retire, die.

Figures why so many on their dying beds feel that theres been something missing...

I can tell you are not one of them, and one day when death lies before you, you will be able to say: "well, i did the best of it" with a smile. If its not a bold statement.

Just go for it.

kinda off topic but i know where pocatello is, i regularly go through there returning from yellowstone to a friends place in slc utah. very nice little town, great little regional park right uphill from there and some cool railroad scenes in the nice hills and valleys south of town and its on a major freeway that connects the north (eg: tetons, jackson wyo, yellowstone, glacier np, etc) with salt lake city and areas to the west, so i think its a fairly central location for a lot of people esp people on vacation. get a big billboard on the outskirts of town, include rail rolling stock and i think its a fairly ideal location.

i even thought about moving there; may still do that in the future.

Edited by jbwelda

My gosh, someone knows where Pocatello is!!! Actually we are easy to find, southeast Idaho on Interstate 15. Salt Lake is 169 miles south, Yellowstone National park is 150 miles north, Jackson Hole is 100 miles east, and the middle of no-where is 20 miles west (Sun Valley is 150 miles west too)!

Actually, we do get a lot of tourists as two interstates meet here. This is a major route to 5 or 6 major vaction spots. We also have a model railroad club in a building donated by the Union Pacific RR, they have over 1/4 mile of double track on the HO layout. It must be one of the largest in the US.

"I made a trip out to Dean Milano's museum after seeing what seemed like years of his ad in the model mags. We live in cedar rapids, iowa (three hours from the museum). "

Hey, I remember the day you made that trip from Iowa. It was great meeting you and nice to know that one of the few who visited still remembers.

Thanks!

I started planning this about five years ago and saving money for it. I announced it on another web site and while I got support for it, several people had to tell me how hard it would be and it would be a waste of time.

I didn't ask for donations, as a matter of fact I will not accept money, I have paid for every item sent to me and I still buy built/unbuilt kits (admittedly at low prices to conserve money). I could fail and the museum may never open. I may have to work a few extra years with our changing economy and just use my 1,200 square foot basement for a while instead of a building. I have warned people about this when I talk to them.

I have a collection of 749 kits of all types that I have built. A good start. Relax, I am not asking you to send anything or sell me anything. I just want you to understand my motivation and think about how synical (can't spell) we may become about others dreams.

The point is that I want to do this. I may fail. It is a dream not a scam. Is there a difference? I think so. Maybe, I can get you to think about how much fun it would be to visit a museum devoted to models....even if that is all I do.....mission accomplished!

I've seen museums dedicated to things stranger than model cars--out in Iowa there is, or was, a museum of barbed wire fencing!

One of things that sets Mark Gustavson's museum effort apart is that it's not just a museum of collectible old stuff, although there is a lot of that there, nor is it a museum of a bunch of old builtups by now-deceased modelers having some fame in the hobby (that few in the general population at large really knew or understood), nor is it a museum dedicated to the artistry of scale model cars--no, it's all that.

While of course, the National Model Car Builder's Museum in Salt Lake City is heavily weighted toward customs and rods of years gone by, with a very nice side dish of the old Oakland Roadster Show (massive and intriguing diorama that!), it does also tell a story of this hobby as no other has, or does.

I can easily see a model car museum as telling part of the story of a unique generation--the boomers, if you will. Face it, model car building is OUR hobby, we were the first to be enamored with the idea of taking a bunch of plastic pieces, gluing them together, then upon learning that the models we built could be customized to each our own whims and imaginations, well to put it mildly, we baby boom kids went wild, and did so for the next 15yrs or so after the first 3in1 customizing kits hit the hobby shop shelves. Along the way, we also learned now to replicate stuff that we saw in real life, or wished we had seen. And with this, we boomers have been able to not only exercise our own thoughts as to how a car ought to look, we also became able to create in miniature the history of the automobile itself, from the beginnings to today. Along with all this, we modelers can also recreate the greatest moments in all forms of motorsport as well--the list of what we do is as long as the list of modelers by name.

So, go for it, if you can!

Biscuitbuilder1