Model Cars Magazine Forum

White Sandable Primer

A while back I read a post here describing how to achieve a really bright “Ferrari Red†of the type seen on their race cars in the 90’s. The poster described applying an undercoat of fluorescent red. I ran a test panel using various combinations of my regular sealer primer, Duplicolor, which is a medium gray, Tamiya Fine White Primer and Tamiya TS-36 Fluorescent Red as the undercoats and Duplicolor 8801560 Super Red as the final color coat. The ideal combination was White Primer only followed by two coats of fluorescent red and then the final red color coat (minimum two coats for depth). The result is a stunning “knock your eyes out†red that’s just what I’m looking for. Any hint of gray primer spoiled the effect.

Here’s my question: Can anyone recommend a sandable white primer available in aerosol cans that, ideally, would cover well and would be sandable? The Tamiya Fine White Primer really doesn’t cover very well at all. I’ve used it before and I find it expensive and difficult to use because of this. Unfortunately I don’t airbrush yet so the primer has to be available in aerosol form. I would like to avoid using any gray primer for body prep work if I can in order to assure the brightest possible final color. I have done a limited web search and see that Plasti-Kote offers a white sandable primer. If you have had experience with this primer, can you tell me if it covers well and does it have adequate mechanical qualities to tolerate sanding during body prep?

Thanx!

B.

I'm not the only one here that'll say Plastikote T-237 is the best out there. It can be difficult to find, however. I can order it from a supplier at work so I'm fortunate. In fact, I have used all four of the available colors and all of them are truly excellent. Plastikote makes another white sandable primer that comes in a can like this:

IMG_0231.jpg

It is a good primer too, but it isn't the same. I can't complain about it, but it doesn't seem to cover as well as the T-237 does. I'd be willing to bet the stores that carry Plastikote(besides craft stores) can probably order it from their supplier if one were to ask the manager about it.

If you have Carquest Auto Parts nearby, they should have all the Plasticote Primer's. You may have to ask them because some locations do not have them sitting out in front, due to local city regulations. Plasti-cote will not craze the plastic like Dupli-color can at times with some Revell kits.

Thanx everybody!

Looks like Plasti-Kote is the one! I'm relieved and delighted that it's that straightforward.

Myles:

When I was at the Plasti-Kote web site I looked up dealers near me and there are seceral Carquest stores near me so I'll call them and check it out.

Thanx again.

B.

Michaels crafts stores carry it also if you have one nearby...

Michaels does not sell the 237....but do sell the one pictured above.

White primer usually will take 3 to 5 mist coats to cover....brand is not all that critical for compleat coverage,HOK sells a white base#BC26s

it is a spray bomb and covers better than most whites